Job Title: Senior Director of Outdoor Programs
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Location: Mableton Business Center
Outdoor education is a foundational pillar of the Girl Scout Leadership Experience, which has been building girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place for more than 100 years. Girl Scouts of Greater Atlanta seeks a Senior Director of Outdoor Programs with deep experience in camp programming and operations and outdoor property management who can be an inspiring and motivational team leader and key member of the Girl Scout Executive Team. The Senior Director will lead the development, implementation, and evaluation of Girl Scout outdoor programs, including day and overnight camp and weekend events at three ACA-accredited year-round camping facilities, and work as part of a cross-functional leadership team to deliver the Girl Scout Leadership Experience in the outdoors to girls and volunteers in 34 counties in Northwest Georgia.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for overall direction of the outdoor program department, which delivers summer overnight and day camp and weekend programs at three Girl Scout owned properties, as well as volunteer-run day camps and staff- and volunteer-led programs at State parks, National recreation areas and other event locations.
- Provide leadership, support, direction and coaching to outdoor program and property team to achieve registration, retention, customer service and program outcome goals.
- Recruit, hire, train, develop, schedule and direct outdoor program staff and volunteers to meet programmatic needs. Review and evaluate staff performance, including four direct reports (camp directors and registrar). Develop and implement strategies to motivate and retain seasonal and year-round staff.
- Ensure all programs meet ACA accreditation standards, Girl Scouts safety activity checkpoints, council policies and operating procedures, insurance requirements, and federal, state and local health and safety regulations.
- Ensure that Girl Scouts’ outdoor program curriculum fully utilizes the Girl Scout Leadership Experience, including national outdoor badge and Journey curriculum and locally developed programs in STEM, entrepreneurship, outdoor education and leadership/life skills.
- Model the Girl Scout Promise and Law in all interactions. Respond to all member and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner. Set the standard for exemplary customer service through personal leadership.
- Together with the Risk/Facilities department, oversee, maintain and manage Girl Scouts’ camp properties, including making recommendations for short- and long-range capital planning and repairs, maintenance and improvements that result in outdoor experiences that are safe, fun, age-appropriate and competitive with other area camps.
- Develop and manage annual program and property budget of $2.8M.
- Work collaboratively with risk management and insurance vendors to maintain a high quality, safe environment for all outdoor program participants and staff.
- Work cross-functionally with internal and external marketing resources to develop, execute and evaluate camp marketing initiatives to meet registration and retention goals.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with community organizations and supporting departments, as well as outdoor program peers in Greater Atlanta market and the Girl Scout movement.
- Partner with Fund Development team to identify and or collaborate on funding opportunities for camp programs and capital needs.
- Provide project management oversight for the completion of capital campaign projects on time and within budget.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Bachelor’s degree in related field
2. Minimum of eight years’ experience in a senior leadership role
3. Five years of experience with all aspects of outdoor education or camp administration, including:
- Staff management, including goal setting and management, personnel compliance, staff supervision and training, and seasonal payroll management,
- Food service,
- Purchasing and inventory control,
- Project management/design and continuous improvement of standard procedures
- Risk management and safety
- Program development, design, execution and assessment
- Marketing strategies for camper recruitment and retention
- Customer service, including dispute resolution and crisis management
4. Knowledge and experience in current youth development principles and techniques, with an emphasis on leadership and character development
5. Fluent in progressive camp and adventure programs that resonate with today’s girls and their parents
6. Strong interpersonal, organizational and written/verbal communication skills
7. Strong computer skills – proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) and comfortable learning new online tools and databases; experience with CampMinder, DoubleKnot and/or Salesforce a plus
8. Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
9. Ability to be flexible and adaptable, including working weekend and/or evening hours during events
10. Ability to travel as job requires
11. Knowledge of or background in Girl Scouts a plus
Ability to walk long distances on rough terrain and able to carry, lift and/ or transfer up to 25 pounds.
*Must successfully complete a criminal, motor vehicle and credit background check.