Location: San Francisco, CA
Type: Full Time Min. Experience: Experienced
JOB TITLE: Director of Community Investment
REPORTS TO: Chief of Strategy
CLASSIFICATION: Regular, Full-Time (37.5 hours/week, benefited)
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, some evenings, weekends, & events
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is San Francisco’s center for art and progress. Opened to the public in 1993, YBCA was founded as the cultural anchor of San Francisco’s Yerba Buena Gardens neighborhood. Our work spans the realms of contemporary art, performance, film, civic engagement, and public life. By centering artists as essential to social and cultural movement, YBCA is reimagining the role an arts institution can play in the community it serves. Our mission is to generate culture that moves people.
Mission: We generate culture that moves people.
Vision: A community that thrives on inspiration.
The successful candidate will embody our organization’s core values:
- Abundance: We operate from a place of strength, with a spirit of empathy and generosity. Authentic Collaboration: We are engaged and interconnected. Personal Agency: We are empowered and accountable. Boldness: We create with courage and purpose
ABOUT THE ROLE
YBCA is seeking an individual to serve as program lead on key organizational initiatives that focus on trying, testing, and furthering new models for investing in artists, artist organizations and communities, potentially including but not exclusive to a newly established state-wide relief re-granting program and our 10 county region-wide Artist Power Convenings. They will be responsible for establishing effective partnerships and managing complex state-wide and regional networks. The Director of Community Investment supports YBCA in achieving organizational goals to realize its vision of shifting power to artists and arts-driven enterprises working in service of their communities to advance equity, health and wellbeing.
- Lead and manage new program initiatives, working across the organization and with partners - existing and new - throughout the city, region and our state. Initiatives include, but are not limited to:
- ARTIST POWER CONVENINGS
RAPID RESPONSE ARTIST RELIEF
- Leading the administration of the Artist Power Convenings, a 10 county region-wide investment strategy to support artist and artist-led organizations through the funding of convenings over the next 2 years. Developing new and deepening existing partnerships Working with partners throughout the 10 counties to reach prioritized communities for AP Convenings: Black/African American; American Indian or Alaska Native; Latinx; Asian; Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander; LGBTQIA++; and disabled. Developing the engagement path for partners and recipients of APC funding.
- Leading the administration of a newly granted relief program for artists working in their communities throughout the State of California, funded by the California Arts Council. Partnering throughout the state, by building on the 10-county region partnerships to include state-wide State and Local Partners, along with other anchor organizations for California communities. Develop the engagement path for partners and recipients of Rapid Response Artist Relief.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience leading and/or managing artist and community initiatives and programs , with familiarity working collaboratively and on multiple paths in parallel. Experience building relationships, developing effective partnerships, and managing complex state-wide, i.e. broad networks. Proven commitment to supporting artists and arts organizations working in service of community, with a focus on Bay Area, regional and state-wide arts and community- organizations ecosystem. Direct experience making grants /guiding granting programs Strong organizational skills and detail oriented. Goal-oriented with experience and/or willingness to influence across organizational levels Possesses passion for social justice and the arts. Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to understand and translate strategy into implementation of projects and programs. Ability to solve problems quickly and creatively in a fast-paced, fluctuating environment. Experience with an arts/cultural or social justice nonprofit, familiarity with Bay Area arts and culture scene, and proven commitment to positive social change. Thrives in a highly collaborative environment that values diversity, equity, inclusion, and access, and works effectively with people of varied backgrounds, experiences, points of view, and aspirations. Enthusiasm for supporting artists, social justice, and the health and well-being of our communities. Experience working with communication, collaboration, and project management tools; monday.com, G-Suite, Microsoft Office Suite
PTO, Holiday Pay, Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, Group Life and AD&D Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, Voluntary Life and AD&D, Employee Assistance Program, Travel Assistance, paid time off to volunteer, and ability to participate in the 403(b) Retirement Plan with match.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is committed to diversity in its programming and in creating a work culture and environment that is reflective of San Francisco Bay Area demography. The Center encourages and actively recruits applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
At YBCA, we continue to prioritize the health and wellbeing of our employees and candidates. All interviews will be conducted remotely via phone or video conference while YBCA complies with local and state health ordinances. Please note that this position may perform some work remotely and on site responsibilities.
Hello and thank you for taking the time to apply and let us know that you are interested in joining our team at YBCA. After you apply, you will receive a confirmation email to let you know that your resume has been received. Rest assured, a member of our recruiting team will personally review your application. If you are a potential match for one of our open positions, we will be in touch. If there is not a match right now, we will keep your resume on file for future opportunities. In the meantime, please connect with us on social media at YBCA to learn more about us. Thank you for your time and we wish you the best on your job search.
Agencies and Recruiting Firms: Please note that we will only review applications submitted directly by candidates and do not accept resumes or pay fees to third parties. Any unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of YBCA.