Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind is a mission driven community resource for the blind and visually impaired community of greater Washington, DC. CLB is seeking a Manager, Human Resources to plan and lead all human resources initiatives and policies. This position is in-person and reports to both the Washington, DC and Silver Spring, MD offices.
Reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer, the Manager, Human Resources will plan, lead, develop, and coordinate the HR initiatives and policies to support CLB operations and ensure compliance and implementation of the organization’s mission and talent strategy.
- Plan, design, develop, and evaluate HR related initiatives that support CLB’s operations.
- Create, update, review, and advise managers on policies, procedures, and practices.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws and industry regulations.
- Develop and administer an effective recruitment program to recruit and retain high caliber staff.
- Conduct outreach to visually impaired professional training programs, schools, and organizations to build relationships and encourage future graduates to apply for employment.
- Complete annual Federal reporting including EEO-1, Vets-4272, ACA, Affirmative Action Plan, OSHA, and DOD manpower reporting.
- Ensure compliance with Ability One program record keeping requirements including eye medical reports and annual Individual Employment Evaluations.
- Complete quarterly and year-end NIB blind ratio reporting and certification and maintain current data on staffing levels.
- Consult with legal counsel as appropriate, and/or as directed by the CEO on personnel matters.
- Respond to requests for information from outside parties such as OPM, Social Security Administration, state unemployment agencies, financial institutions, and insurance companies regarding employment, benefits, and payroll records.
- Provide information for financial audit, grant applications and reporting, worker’s compensation premium audits, business license renewal, fundraising solicitation registration, and certificates of liability insurance.
- Collaborate with supervisors on employee relations and performance matters.
- Manage performance management program.
- Collaborate with managers regarding compensation matters; review pay history and calculate increases for CEO approval.
- Manage employee benefit program and ensure cost effectiveness and competitiveness of plans offered.
- Serve as liaison to brokers for property and casualty insurance coverage; ensure proper insurance coverage for CLB’s programs, activities, and property.
- Review and assess applications for employment and conduct preliminary screening of candidates.
- Create and manage job descriptions in coordination with managers.
- Manage safety program including worker’s compensation claims handling and tracking.
- Oversee the onboarding and orientation process.
- Review semi-monthly payroll prior to submission for completeness and accuracy.
- Coordinate and/or conduct exit interviews to determine reasons behind separation.
- Supervise the Office Administrator.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Hands-on management style and resourceful in problem solving
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a multi-tasked environment
Required Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or business management
- Minimum of three years of progressive experience in HR management
- Prior experience with Federal government contracting
- Prior payroll processing experience
- Knowledge of and experience working with ADA
Preferred Education and/or Experience
- HRCI or SHRM certification
- SCA experience
- Non-profit or association experience
- Knowledge of PrimePay
Additional inquiries and questions can be emailed to Beth Cessna at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact 202-232-1765.
About Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind (CLB)
Since 1900, Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind has been dedicated to helping the blind or visually impaired population of the greater Washington, DC region overcome the challenges of vision loss. CLB's work enables people of all ages who are blind or visually impaired to remain independent, active, and productive in our society. CLB provides programs and services to people of all ages who are blind or visually impaired, regardless of their ability to pay.
CLB is committed to assuring that all recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, and other employment related programs are provided fairly to all persons on an equal opportunity basis without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Employment decisions are based on the principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.
About Cessna & Associates, LLC
Cessna & Associates, LLC is a boutique HR consultancy partnering with mission driven, non-profit organizations. Our goal is to identify the best potential candidates that the market has to offer.
The Power of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Fuels Success
Cessna & Associates embraces and celebrates the strength that diversity brings to our organization. Just as we are deliberate in our own pursuit of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives, our efforts support our clients' DEI success. We drive every search with an unyielding focus to create an even playing field for all candidates and assess their ability to be "culture adds," not merely "fits" for our clients. Our team builds and nurtures this rich tapestry of diversity for ourselves and for our clients.