SEI is seeking an Associate Communications / Marketing Manager to support SEI and our K - 16 and post-college Education and Green Workforce programs. This position requires technical expertise, knowledge, and supervisory experience related to traditional and digital communications and marketing, along with a strong foundation in sustainability-related concepts, new energy technologies, and climate solutions. This team member will be responsible for analysing data, driving organizational projects, planning and producing events, developing new collateral, coordinating across five program teams, and collaborating with the Development team on fundraising initiatives and SEI external collateral.
This is a full-time position based out of our main office in San Rafael, CA. Typical working hours are Monday-Friday, include occasional travel and field support, and require flexibility for occasional evening and weekend work. Target start date is as soon as possible. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Associate Communications/Marketing Manager reports to and supports the activities of SEI’s Executive Director and other program directors and managers, in addition to leading communications and marketing strategy for the organization as a whole. The Associate Communications/Marketing Manager will be involved in all phases of communications-related projects and campaigns. This team member will manage staff and external contributors to their projects, providing appropriate direction, support, mentoring, and supervision. Responsibilities will include:
- Lead and/or assist on projects focused primarily on marketing and communications efforts for SEI and our many programs.
- Proactively establish and expand strategic contacts and our agency’s reputation as an innovator, expert, and thought partner by representing the organization externally at select conferences, workshops, meetings and events, forming and cultivating relationships.
- Lead development, maintenance, and updates to all of our websites.
- Lead content development, design, and publishing of SEI’s Strategic Plan and Annual Impact Report.
- Interface and represent SEI with Educators, Students, Teachers, Administrators in the K-12 and university sector, and Partners (Non Profit and For Profit), the boards of both SEI and our School of Environmental Leadership, as well as a myriad of other possible entities.
- Design, plan, and produce events related to our organization and key programs, in conjunction with Development lead.
- Research and document best practices in climate-related marketing and communications.
- Lead and manage social media presence and postings across SEI and our programs.
- Direct and manage internal staff, fellows, and volunteers on projects as appropriate.
- Lead SEI’s strategic storytelling initiative, including SEO strategy, assigning story topics, editing articles submitted by staff, and posting articles to SEI’s blog.
- Write compelling copy for websites, newsletters, partnership development, blog, reporting, and proposals.
- Manage the content and design of quarterly SEI newsletters, as well as program-specific newsletters when necessary.
- Lead communications sessions at both the all-staff annual retreat and the annual board retreat - guiding the organization in marketing and communications strategies that support the organizational mission/vision.
- Manage SEI’s brand, ensuring brand guidelines are adhered to across channels and in all forms of communication.
- Design graphics for and manage SEI’s photo library.
- Assist staff in developing professional external communications collateral, including ideation, concept, content, and design of websites, flyers, events, presentations, and other miscellaneous needs.
- Work closely with Development lead to ensure communications and marketing strategy aligns closely with development strategy, both mapping to overarching organizational goals.
- Collaborate as a thought partner and creative solutions manager with the ideation and production of future development strategies, including, but not limited to, individual giving stewardship materials, fundraising events, and advocacy campaigns.
- Be flexible to support the breadth of SEI programs and program areas as time and funding priorities dictate.
Receive a competitive starting salary for this position of $68,000 plus company-paid medical, sick time, vacation time, 13 paid holidays per year, in-house dental/vision/chiropractic plan, Comp time, participation in a 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan (with matching after one year of employment), and a telecommute benefit of 2 days each week.
In this position, you will play an integral role across our organization and program teams, shining a light on our critical work building leaders to drive sustainability solutions. By applying your creativity, compassion, and climate knowledge to communications at SEI, our program services will be more accessible, fundable, further-reaching, and impactful.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
We seek candidates that share SEI’s commitment to equity and environmental justice, who share a commitment to work and learn within an anti-oppression framework. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply. SEI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity. We believe that a wide array of perspectives contributes to creative climate solutions where all communities thrive. We strive to reflect diverse communities, especially those most impacted by climate change and other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustices.
Expectations and Qualifications:
As our ideal candidate, you bring to this position:
- Bachelor’s degree (advanced coursework a plus).
- 4+ years of experience working in communications and marketing programs relating to sustainability education and/or green workforce.
- Brand management experience, with an emphasis on graphic design skills.
- Strong writing ability, including conducting interviews, editing, and publishing for a wide array of audiences.
- Ability to center equity and diversity in communications and marketing materials.
- Strong communications skills to support fluid dialog with our partners as well as SEI directors, managers, and program leads and operational colleagues.
- Demonstrated experience working with and across a diverse set of funders, colleagues, partners, clients and program participants in the education, public and nonprofit sectors.
- Excellent project management and work organization skills.
- Desired foundational knowledge of: K-16 education, workforce development, sustainability, climate change, energy conservation, energy efficiency, renewable energy, green infrastructure, and building science.
- Expertise or strong interest in fundraising.
- Website graphic and UX/UI design.
- Strategic social media planning and execution experience.
- Track record of successful task prioritization and execution, ability to juggle overlapping deadlines, and deft management of a growing body of work with timely fulfillment of associated tasks & deliverables.
- Ability to work under direct supervision, collaboratively in teams/ partners, or independently.
- Experience using data to regularly improve marketing strategy (i.e. Google Analytics, Hootsuite Analytics).
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- SEI asks that their employees be vaccinated for COVID with exceptions made for health and religious reasons. As such, we may ask for proof of vaccination during the hiring process.
SEI is a non-profit organization based in San Rafael in the Bay Area, CA, dedicated to building leaders to drive sustainability solutions. For over 24 years, SEI has partnered with schools, communities, and businesses to develop a sustainability leadership pathway from elementary school to early career. Our flagship programs educate and empower students and emerging professionals to create thriving, resilient communities.
This position requires applicants to perform the following tasks: Read/comprehend, write, perform calculations, communicate orally, reason and analyze, use fine finger movements, use a computer and mouse, sit, stand, walk, drive a motorized vehicle, carry and/or lift up to 40 pounds, reach above shoulder level, bend, squat, crouch, kneel, push/pull, grasp.
Qualified applicants should email a resume and cover letter describing how their interest, qualifications, and experience are a perfect match for this position, to SEI at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Associate Comms + Marketing Manager” and the platform you are applying from in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.