Seeking Media Campaigner for Project to Protect Kids from Big Tech
Are you a skilled, resourceful, media-savvy campaigner with strong writing, pitching, and media management skills who wants to take on tech companies that are endangering kids? If so, we’re looking for you!
Tech companies are now the world’s most powerful entities and they are using their power in a way that is devastating. They track children and sell their private information to 3rd parties; expose kids to sexual predators, extremist beliefs, and disinformation; intentionally addict them; degrade their mental health and well-being; and delay critical physical skills like hand-eye coordination – all while creating a permanent public record of personal information that can be accessed by anyone. The pandemic has meant our kids spend more time online than ever before–exacerbating all these harms.
Worst of all? Silicon Valley knows exactly what they are doing (b/c $$$) and they will keep doing it until millions of concerned people, working together, fight back. That’s where you come in!
We are looking for a thoughtful media-fluent campaigner to help raise the profile of our campaigns and publicize the hidden harms of Big Tech.
Here’s some of the awesome stuff you’ll do:
- Identify media campaign opportunities.
- Create and execute communications strategies to advance awareness and advocacy.
- Develop and deploy pitches.
- Co-create media strategies with our communications team and act as a media spokesperson.
- Work with partners to co-create initiatives.
You’ll likely be a great fit if you:
- Have media and/or PR experience.
- Understand and can co-create campaign strategy.
- Have excellent written and verbal comms skills.
- Enjoy working with others and relationship building.
- Are self-motivated, efficient, and focused on results.
- Dream big, plan well, and know how to execute.
- Pay attention to details.
- Have a sense of humor.
- You don’t need to be a parent, just concerned about the next generation.
- Experience working in this area is a plus, but not necessary.
We are open to full time or part time applicants. Flexible schedule and work from almost anywhere. 15 – 40 hours per week, depending on availability. Compensation for full time employees ranges from $75,000 – $90,000 depending on experience. (Note: If you work freelance, supporting multiple clients, and are interested in working in that capacity, please reach out.)
HOW TO APPLY
Please include the following info and submit on our website.
- Resume or CV
- A paragraph or so telling us why you’d be successful in this role.
- A sample of your writing related to media – anything from a press release to talking points is fine.
A LITTLE ABOUT US
ParentsTogether is a community of over two million parents and grandparents working together to make the world a better place for children and families.
We use mobile messaging to provide news and updates on issues that matter to families, and creative and thoughtful resources that address parents’ daily challenges. We also organize parents to speak out in favor of public education, affordable childcare, kids’ healthcare, family food and income security, protection for immigrant families, and other important priorities.
As an organization, we are collaborative and work to solve challenges together. We have a positive, low-ego, low-drama work culture. All of us love our work and are driven to help ParentsTogether succeed. Our strategy framework is based on lean startup principles. We try out ideas quickly, see what works, and iterate.
At ParentsTogether, we have an intersectional analysis and believe that building a multiracial, cross-class parent movement is non-negotiable. We are actively working to build a diverse team of staff and contractors; people of color, people from poor and working class backgrounds, LGBTQ folks, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based upon gender, race, national origin, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or gender expression.