We’re looking for an Account Supervisor to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business in our Digital Fundraising & Advocacy Practice Area.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
Work that is meaningful. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- We run digital fundraising, membership, and advocacy programs for our clients. Lots of politically progressive groups like Planned Parenthood, League of Conservation Voters, and PETA. Cultural organizations we love, like the American Museum of Natural History. And many causes that are working in the most dire situations in the world such as the American Red Cross and Oxfam America.
- Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to find, recruit, and retain supporters in order to raise revenue, win campaigns, and build brand recognition and loyalty for our clients.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Work with clients and colleagues to help conceive successful digital fundraising, advocacy, and engagement strategies.
- Maintain the client relationship by staying in close contact with clients throughout the day via email and phone, leading weekly check-in calls, and presenting at big strategy meetings.
- Be accountable for our overall work with the client, making sure deliverables are moving the client to achieve their goals, and jumping in to project manage as needed, managing up and down as necessary to get the work done.
- Develop compelling content by drafting and editing email fundraising appeals, action alerts, website content, social media and ad copy, and other digital creative.
- Oversee the many details involved in launching campaigns using your client’s email and/or SMS tools, including pitching in with quality assurance when things are busy.
- Devise testing plans and distill email, web, advertising, and social campaign data into the important lessons that could change how a campaign performs.
- Assign and review the work of junior staff on each client team, providing feedback, coaching, and guidance at every step.
- Devise new systems for our team to share knowledge, innovate strategies, and grow as fundraisers.
- Drive conversations and processes that help build inclusive spaces within your teams and across M+R.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly - including carefully tracking all of your client hours as well as pitching in with small office management responsibilities.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 7-8 years work experience, including 5+ years in digital fundraising.
- Experience managing a small-dollar online fundraising program for a non-profit or an electoral campaign, or consulted on them at an agency.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement cross-channel digital strategies (email, advertising, organic social, SMS).
- Extensive experience drafting and editing fundraising creative, with a particular emphasis on email and landing page copy.
- Experience integrating digital fundraising with offline direct response fundraising (direct mail and telemarketing).
- Demonstrated ability to run meetings to identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff or interns.
- Ability to communicate persuasively in a way that articulates your ideas and conveys your expertise, whether on the phone, in-person, or in writing.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Drive to work collaboratively - soliciting ideas, seeing each other's perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience developing effective ad creative for direct response.
- Experience running integrated fundraising campaigns that leverage paid strategies such as programmatic display and video, paid social, and/or paid search.
- Have worked in an agency setting or at another consulting firm.
Salary, benefits, and some perks:
This is an exempt status, unionized position, represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild. The salary is $79,000 with eligibility for an approximate $6,600 year-end bonus depending on start date and firmwide performance. As part of M+R’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. Successful staff at M+R have regular opportunities for promotion with accompanying increases in compensation.
We also offer a generous benefits package, plus some perks:
- Three week’s vacation as well as paid sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with an employer match and quarterly employer contributions;
- Professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- Regular brainstorms where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of benefits depending on which office you’re in (once we're back open!). Free lunch once a week. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap. Records and record players.
The fine print:
Due to COVID, our offices are currently closed. Our primary concern is the care and health of our employees, and will not reopen our offices until it is safe to do so. When M+R reopens its offices, we have a preference for this position to work out of one of the following M+R offices:
- 1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
- 11 Park Place, New York, NY
- 262 Washington St, Boston, MA
- 1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
- 1275 East 6th St, Los Angeles, CA
If you would prefer not to be based in one of our offices, we will discuss those logistics during the interview process.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.