Job Title: Accountant
Waterkeeper Alliance, an international environmental organization, seeks a dynamic, goal-oriented accounting professional to help strengthen Waterkeeper Alliance and the Waterkeeper movement.
Location: New York, NY
Organizational Overview: Waterkeeper Alliance is a global environmental movement uniting more than 350 Waterkeeper groups around the world and focusing citizen action on the issues that affect our waterways, from pollution to climate change. Waterkeeper groups patrol over 2.75 million square miles of rivers, streams, and coastlines in the Americas, Europe, Australia, Asia, and Africa. For more information, please visit our website at waterkeeper.org.
Position Summary: The position works under the direction of the Finance & Operations Director. The Finance department manages all of the financial, accounting, and bookkeeping functions associated with a $13+ million budget. The position is responsible for executing all day-to-day financial transactions, providing financial information for grant writing and grant reporting, ensuring that all financial processes are as efficient as possible and in keeping with GAAP and all Waterkeeper Alliance finance and administration policies, leading audit and tax preparation, and preparing all financial reports.
Executes day-to-day financial transactions, including cash receipts, A/P, A/R, expense reimbursement and bank and payroll reconciliations;
- Provides financial information for grant writing and grant reporting;
- Ensures that the financial processes are as efficient as possible and in keeping with GAAP and all Waterkeeper Alliance finance and administration policies;
- Leads audit and tax return preparation;
- Prepares monthly department-related financial reports;
- Assists with the preparation of financial reports for the Board of Directors;
- Researches vendor inquiries;
- Prepares daily deposits as needed;
- Prepares monthly journal entries for general ledger;
- Processes employee reimbursements and credit card reconciliation, ensuring that all policies are followed;
- Adheres to monthly financial process and close schedule;
- Prepares annual 1099 tax forms;
- Prepares invoices;
- Assures that all bills are paid in a timely manner, deposits made regularly and that any unclaimed funds are collected and accounted for;
- Tracks restricted funding;
- Works with Finance & Operations Director to maintain the organization’s fiscal health and high-quality standing;
- Maintains and prepares any records or schedules for payroll services, benefits administration, taxes and audits;
- Periodically archives and disposes of files in accordance with document management and retention policy; and
- Engages in other duties as assigned.
- An understanding of GAAP for non-profit organizations;
- Vocational/Technical Training or Associates Degree- required; Bachelor’s Degree preferred BSBA/Accounting;
- Knowledge of Sage Intacct software;
- Knowledge of Bill.com;
- Keen understanding of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) within an organization, across initiatives, and through navigating complex interpersonal relationships;
- Passion for Waterkeeper Alliance’s mission; and
- A positive attitude and sense of humor.
Job type: Full time
Culture & Benefits: Our staff and Waterkeepers are the heart of our mission, and we are committed to pursuing the principles of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) as we move forward to a more equal and just future as an organization. We aim to create and sustain a workforce that reflects the hundreds of global communities we strive to protect in our fight for clean water, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply to join our team!
We offer a competitive industry salary, excellent benefits including 15 vacation days, sick time, paid parental leave (after required period of employment), work from home opportunities, and a healthy work-life balance to all members of our team.
Start Date: ASAP. This position will remain open until filled.
Applications: Send resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Accountant. No phone calls, please.
Waterkeeper Alliance is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Waterkeeper is a registered trademark of Waterkeeper Alliance, Inc.