Position Title: Director of Program
Position Location: Primary virtual, NYC preferred
The Action Lab is seeking a full-time Director of Program.
About The Action Lab
To envision and realize our goal of freedom and dignity for all, The Action Lab generates opportunity—to rejuvenate, to dream, to build community, to learn, to create, to innovate, and to take courageous action. The Lab fosters cross-discipline, cross-movement spaces to lift out of the immediate, imagine our way decades into the future, expand our conception of what’s possible and build the collective muscle and connections to drive towards that Vision.
We catalyze new insights, new relationships, and new avenues for change by creating and curating spaces for learning, cultural creation, cross-discipline collaboration, experimentation, and action. Through gatherings, learning, experimentation, incubation, and fellowships, The Action Lab nurtures and challenges our movements to imagine new ways forward, to care for ourselves and each other, to sharpen our analysis and our actions, and to dream and act ambitiously. The Lab will create space for those fighting for social justice within the U.S. to gather, as well as connecting with social justice innovators and leaders internationally to foster deeper learning and seed an international movement for change. Situated on 26 acres an hour north of New York City, The Action Lab is both a physical home for builders, creators, campaigners, organizers, and leaders—and a community of action anchored in relationship, rigor, and solidarity.
About the Position
We are seeking a Director of Program to help manage several emerging bodies of programmatic work, across all four of our core initiatives:
- The Innovation Initiative catalyzes change by generating cross-discipline, cross movement, cross-generation spaces of study, exploration, experimentation, and shared strategy in action among social justice practitioners.
The Justice Initiative helps change-makers build and sharpen skills, expertise, and collaboration through experiential programming for cohorts of emerging organizers, movement lawyers, mid-career social justice innovators, culture-makers & creatives, seasoned social justice leaders, and others.
- The Belafonte Initiative provides space for culture-makers and creative leaders to collaborate with social justice leaders to explore how culture, the arts, film, and other media can drive social change and foster a shared vision of a new future.
- The Gathering Strength Initiative creates healing spaces for personal, organizational, movement, and community restoration and to cultivate practices to (re)connect to shared purpose for the long work of justice.
The Initiatives go deep within core focus areas, while generating opportunities for connection across the Initiatives—so cohorts in the Justice Initiative have opportunities to collaborate with artists and cultural leaders, to access the supports of the Gathering Strength programs, and to join cross-discipline labs in the Innovation Initiative.
The Director of Program will report to the Senior Director of Strategy.
The Director of Program will:
- Support the development, execution and coordination of the organization's evolving programmatic work;
- Provide leadership and coordination with other lead staff, Advisory Board, Board of Directors, Fellows, ally organizations and Partners;
- Provide excellent supervision/management of program staff team, volunteers and consultants;
- Assist with financial management and fundraising for the organization’s programmatic work;
- Work with The Action Lab’s senior team to build our desired organizational culture, meet our annual goals, and achieve our vision;
- Provide public leadership through writing, external meetings, events and the press; and
- Develop and implement team infrastructure (data tracking, reporting, etc.) to support success.
The ideal candidate would bring with them a combination of the following experiences and skills:
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice, organizing and an analysis of racial justice as an imperative for successful organizing and winning;
- A commitment to building people’s institutions as a core element of building power;
- Seven to ten years leading social justice work and organizations;
- Seven to ten years experience managing teams, complex projects or initiatives;
- Experience managing high level (leaders with 5-7 years experience, preferred) staff;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-moving environment with partners from diverse backgrounds, working in varied issues with varied types of expertise, and spread across the country; and
- Significant foundation, individual donor, and other fundraising experience.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be determined according to experience, but is expected to be $100,000- $140,000, with a generous benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Action Lab is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.