Position Title: Director of Resource Development and Partnerships
Position Location: Primarily virtual, NYC metro-area preferred
The Action Lab is seeking a full-time Director of Resource Development and Partnerships.
About The Action Lab
To envision and realize our goal of freedom and dignity for all, The Action Lab generates opportunity—to rejuvenate, to dream, to build community, to learn, to create, to innovate, and to take courageous action. The Lab fosters cross-discipline, cross-movement spaces to lift out of the immediate, imagine our way decades into the future, expand our conception of what’s possible and build the collective muscle and connections to drive towards that Vision. We catalyze new insights, new relationships, and new avenues for change by creating and curating spaces for learning, cultural creation, cross-discipline collaboration, experimentation, and action. Through gatherings, learning, experimentation, incubation, and fellowships, The Action Lab nurtures and challenges our movements to imagine new ways forward, to care for ourselves and each other, to sharpen our analysis and our actions, and to dream and act ambitiously. The Lab will create space for those fighting for social justice within the U.S. to gather, as well as connecting with social justice innovators and leaders internationally to foster deeper learning and seed an international movement for change. Situated on 26 acres an hour north of New York City, The Action Lab is both a physical home for builders, creators, campaigners, organizers, and leaders—and a community of action anchored in relationship, rigor, and solidarity. It is also part of a diverse, national ecosystem of retreat centers and training programs devoted to leadership training and movement building.
About the Position
The Action Lab is seeking a Director of Resource Development and Partnerships who will help envision and drive the implementation of The Action Lab’s development strategy. The Director is responsible for the organization’s income generation strategy and success, working closely with senior staff, Board, partners and allied organizations. They will ensure that The Action Lab raises funds (both program and capital) to meet ambitious growth goals, for the Lab itself and the sector as a whole. The Director’s focus will be on building a diverse, strong, and expanding base of funding from foundations and partner organizations, while significantly growing independent revenue from individual major and small donors, revenue generation initiatives and partnerships. We are looking for a talented, capable leader to help capitalize on The Action Lab’s talents and relationships to help realize those goals.
The Director is responsible for the oversight and growth of development and communications work and, eventually, staff. The Director will implement systems for advancing fundraising work that is done by other lead staff, the Board of Directors, and the Advisory Board. The candidate will be able to work across diverse teams and workstyles, and help the organization design and administer systems that ensure efficacy. The candidate should care deeply about our mission, have experience raising money, and enjoy building relationships, strategizing and developing systems. The Director will help lead all fundraising work in the organization, and will report to the Senior Director of Strategy.
The Director of Resource Development and Partnerships will:
- Create and oversee execution of strategy to dramatically grow The Action Lab’s fundraising over the next 5 years, to include:
- Oversee fundraising efforts from foundation and other institutional sources, stewarding current funders while growing revenue from new sources. This includes: spearheading prospecting for new funding opportunities, overseeing and improving systems for managing assignments to fundraising staff, managing deadlines, reviewing and approving content, and coordinating timely and high-quality submissions, assist with proposal and report drafting. In addition, the director will oversee funder cultivation events such as funder briefings, mailings to funders, etc. and ensure foundation contacts have excellent plans for cultivation and relationship maintenance.
- Strengthen and oversee the execution of a capital campaign and a major gift program, as well as mailed solicitations, individualized donor cultivation, special events, and other relationship building and enhancing activities. Ensure excellent cultivation and relationship maintenance.
- Oversee the building of a strong and expanding base of low-dollar individual donors, and create an effective communications and public affairs strategy to advance the mission and fundraising of The Action Lab.
- Continue to grow income from organizations, partners, and other sources. Work to innovate new streams of funding, such as revenue-generation opportunities through partnerships with nonprofit and for-profit entities,
- Develop a strategy and plan to raise and share resources with the broader ecosystem of land-based retreat centers devoted to innovation, connection, training, leadership development and movement-building.
- Establish strong internal systems for coordinating and tracking development work. Oversee timely grant notifications, coordination of financial reporting, and allocations of grants.
- Materials Development: oversee creation and maintenance of The Action Lab materials, such as concept papers, high-quality overview text on the organization, and any other materials regularly used to publicize The Action Lab’s work or solicit funding.
- Recruit, motivate and provide inspired supervision and support to a motivated development staff team.
- Develop organizational income projections, accurately tracking progress towards those goals, and ensure that the goals are met and that the organization operates with a positive net operating income and continues to grow.
Applicants for the Director of Resource Development and Partnerships position should:
- Be a thoughtful, strategic, results-oriented fundraiser - Possess at least 10 years of demonstrated successful fundraising experience and a strong familiarity with the progressive funding universe. Particular expertise or knowledge in one or more of the following areas is highly desirable: foundation fundraising, capital campaigns, major gifts, revenue generation, and smaller gift individual fundraising
- Be a strong supervisor & project manager - Have experience effectively managing teams and across teams. Possess strong supervision skills, be able to build rapport and inspire their development team while challenging staff to achieve ambitious goals.
- Be committed to The Action Lab’s mission - Possess a commitment to racial equity, social justice, innovation and community organizing, and be motivated to collaborate with the broader ecosystem of retreat centers and training programs of which AL is a part.
- Have strong interpersonal skills - Possess a high level of emotional intelligence and awareness of interpersonal dynamics to work with a diverse group of colleagues, building support and consensus around fundraising priorities.
- Possess outstanding writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrate solid financial management knowledge - comfortable developing and navigating budgets, familiar with basic nonprofit financial management & reporting practices.
- Have very strong strong organizational skills, an ability to deal with many tasks and prioritize while being on top of details. Work effectively on a tight schedule and be able to set and meet realistic deadlines.
- Show a passion for excellence and eagerness to help the organization meet its goals.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be determined according to experience, but is expected to be $100,000 - 160,000, with a generous benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
The Action Lab is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.