At Greentown Labs, we see with clear eyes the universal challenge that climate change poses. Founded by entrepreneurs, we are a climatetech incubator bringing together startups, corporations, investors, politicians, and many others to shape the best future. We believe each solution becomes greater when combined with others in a community of changemakers who are driven by the possibilities to power the climatetech revolution.
Since 2011, Greentown Labs has steadily grown from an initial lab in Cambridge, to a 100,000 square foot campus in Somerville, and a newly opened 40,000 square foot facility in Houston, Texas. During a time of rapid growth, Greentown Labs is looking for a mission-driven, growth-oriented Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to take its financial operations to the next level, as the organization expands its impact over the next critical decade for climate action.
As Chief Financial Officer (CFO), you will serve as a key leader on Greentown Lab’s senior leadership team, playing a central role in setting financial and operational strategy to support Greentown’s strategic growth and impact nationwide. In addition to managing all aspects of the finance and accounting functions for the business, you will be a business partner to the company’s CEO and executive team, making significant contributions to the strategic planning process and organization-wide problem solving, particularly as it relates to organizational growth and maintaining our strong track-record of financial health.
As CFO, you will manage the financial, accounting and reporting functions of the company and will be key to continuing to build and scale Greentown Labs, including supporting the organization in regional growth. You will have the opportunity to build a team in line with Greentown Labs growth plans and to redesign the structure of the organization’s financial systems and processes for our next stage of growth as a national, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with three or more physical locations. You will oversee the preparation of forecasts and budgets and monitor the ongoing financial performance of Greentown Labs. You will drive results, which will include financial modeling of new business opportunities, profitability analysis and business improvement plans, and the review and negotiation of customer and partner contracts. Through this role, you will also provide quarterly financial reports to the CEO and Board of Directors and maintain effective working relationships at both the Board level and across the senior management team.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The CFO role will encompass three key elements: 1) financial operations leadership and reporting 2) financial and accounting staff management, and 3) executive leadership and planning for growth.
- Oversee daily operations of the finance function including the monthly close process, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and administration
- Manage the preparation and presentation of all financial reports and monitor, analyze, and report monthly operating results against budget to the leadership team and Board of Directors
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget process in partnership with the leadership team and department heads
- Advise and prepare financial forecasts, including planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters for the CEO, COO & GC, and members of the leadership team
- Contribute to the development of Greentown’s strategic goals and objectives related to new initiatives, programs, and expansions, as well as the overall leadership of the organization, in partnership with the CEO and COO & GC
- Work with auditors in preparation, execution and reporting of the annual audit
- Coordinate the preparation and management of state and federal tax and reporting requirements and ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations
- Represent the organization externally, particularly in banking and lease negotiations, and support the review and negotiation of contracts
- Develop and manage the appropriate systems, tools and processes to support philanthropic foundation and government grant proposals and reporting
- Design and operationalize a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk and maintain all risk management/insurance relationships
- Design, establish, and maintain a finance and accounting team structure that positions Greentown for further growth, including managing full and part-time contractor resources supporting the finance and accounting function
- Establish and monitor finance and accounting staff performance and development goals; conduct annual performance appraisals.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow, and excel professionally. We know people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below.
- Mission-orientated with positive, can-do attitude and collaborative leadership and management style
- Experience as a CFO or equivalent role in a similar-sized or larger fast-growing non-profit organization; minimum of 15 years professional experience
- Executive leadership presence and strong presentation skills to communicate financial reports to Board of Directors and other senior executives
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to create and maintain solid working relationships at all levels across the organization and externally
- Knowledge of non-profit finance, accounting, budgeting, cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and federal/state financial regulations
- Experience with foundation and/or government grant budgeting and reporting
- Experience with startups or in the climatetech or cleantech industries a plus
- Experience in real estate related financial modeling and planning a plus
- Experience with HR oversight a plus
- B.S. /B.A. in finance and/or accounting, and a CPA; advanced degree in finance, business administration or a related field a plus
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office, especially Excel and PowerPoint; QuickBooks and Bill.com or similar experience
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS AND LOCATION
Greentown offers a comprehensive benefits package. The salary range for this position begins at $160,000 and is commensurate with experience. This role can be based in either Greentown’s Headquarters in Somerville, MA or in their new office in Houston, TX. Travel 1-2 week per quarter will be required for this role. In addition to a competitive salary, Greentown Labs also offers:
- A flexible, fun, supportive working environment; working alongside amazing people tackling the planet’s biggest challenges;
- Generous parental leave policy and benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance and 401k plan; and
- The opportunity to work at the largest climatetech incubator in North America which includes an awesome community of mission-driven entrepreneurs and endless networking opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to this position, please have an updated resume ready and a thoughtfully written cover letter to the attention of Greentown’s Executive Search Committee. All applications should be submitted through Positively Partners' online application portal. For confidential inquiries or for assistance in completing the application, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will follow up.
TIMELINE AND HIRING PROCESS
We will review and respond to all applications received. While subject to change, candidates elected to advance throughout the process can expect two interviews with Positively Partners, an interview with members of the Search Committee (representatives of the Greentown staff) and for finalists, an interview day with Greentown staff, including a robust and holistic reference check process. Expected start date is January 2022.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
Greentown Labs seeks to fully represent our community and constituencies—particularly low-income communities and communities of color—to amplify those voices and provide opportunities to participate in the direction and leadership of the organization. We actively encourage candidates from broad, diverse backgrounds to apply.
Greentown Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.