The St. Vincent de Paul Society of Marin County (www.vinnies.org), a charitable, social services organization, is seeking a highly organized and self-motivated individual to join our passionate and committed team as our Human Resources Manager. The Human Resources Manager reports directly to the Director of Finance and Operations and works closely with our organization’s leadership. The position offers flexible hours, ranging from 20 to 30 hours per week, and is based in our downtown San Rafael office. This is an opportunity for an experienced HR professional who is looking for a flexible schedule and the ability to give back to their community in a meaningful way. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, organized, dependable, and have a passion for working in a team-oriented environment.
Hunger, poverty and homelessness hurts everyone. SVdP’s mission is to work every day to help individuals and families with food, housing, and crisis assistance to restore dignity and a chance for a better life. We are affiliated with one of the oldest and most effective charitable organizations in the world, the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, a Catholic lay organization of nearly 700,000 people world-wide. If you are seeking work that is more than just a job, but the opportunity to give back to your community, then the St. Vincent de Paul Society of Marin County may be the place for you.
The Human Resources Manager will design and implement strategies that align with SVdP’s mission and strategic plan in the following areas:
- Develops and implements recruitment and retention strategies to attract and retain talent.
- Collaborates with department managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Manages recruitment lifecycle from start to finish; including drafting, posting, and monitoring openings on multiple platforms, communicating with applicants, scheduling interviews with appropriate team members, and drafting offer letters.
- Onboards new hires in multiple software programs; serves as point of contact for new-hire onboarding questions; trains new hires in timekeeping software and policies.
- Provides new hire orientation to SVdP office, culture, and mission; educates employees about benefits.
- Maintains robust understanding of existing benefits, including health, dental, vision, employee assistance program (EAP), and 403(b) programs; educates employees and updates summaries of same.
- Identifies and implements improvements to benefits offered, with goal of ensuring comprehensive and cost-effective benefits for all employees.
- Assists with Open Enrollment process, including employee education, distribution of materials, technical support in relevant software, fielding questions, etc.
- Manages changes to employee benefits during employment status changes.
- Acts as liaison with benefits broker and third-party benefits vendors.
- Works with the 403(b) plan administrator to assist with employee education and program administration.
Time, Attendance, and Payroll
- Monitors employee timecards for submission, approval, and possible errors.
- Troubleshoots technical problems and trains employees on use of software.
- Works with managers to resolve time and attendance issues.
- Has ability to manually calculate shifts and exceptions; excellent attention to detail when doing so.
- Supports Finance Department with payroll administration.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Oversees Workers’ Compensation claims; corresponds with adjusters, insurance representatives, and managers; ensures that accommodations are implemented promptly and accurately.
- Proactively researches ways in which the agency can improve upon existing compliance practices; presents recommendations to senior leadership.
- Educates managers on appropriate documentation of performance and discipline practices and procedures; participates in disciplinary meetings.
- Oversees departure meetings; educates departing employees on benefits termination and continuation options.
Culture and Retention
- Acts as liaison between HR and employees, ensuring smooth communication and prompt resolution of requests and questions.
- Provides employees, managers, and internal stakeholders with accurate, consistent, and timely responses and explanations regarding HR-related questions.
- Administers leave requests from start to finish, including parental, family, and medical leaves; serves as a resource to employees for all HR-related questions while on leave.
- Researches and implements best practices around justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion; implements hiring practices and employee trainings that advance these goals.
- Fosters a work environment and agency culture that is safe, transparent, and inclusive.
- Strives to create an inclusive and rewarding work environment that allows employees to thrive both professionally and personally.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Minimum of three (3) years of work experience in general human resources, payroll, and benefits.
- Basic understanding of CA and federal employment law, including pay, benefits, parental leaves, leaves of absence, Workers’ Compensation claims, etc.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills with the ability to adapt to a wide range of communication styles.
- Advanced computer and technology skills, including in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Professional, yet empathic demeanor; interacts with others in an attentive, compassionate, manner.
- Ability to act with integrity and absolute, strict confidentiality.
- Flexible, self-motivated, and detail-oriented with the ability to learn quickly and adapt to change.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to maintain files, schedules, reports, etc.
- Proficiency with human resource software, including Paylocity and/or Ease a plus.
Compensation: Competitive, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package, including health, vision, dental, EAP, and 403(b) matching.
Please submit letter of interest and resume to email@example.com.