Summary: CaringWorks Mission and Background:
CaringWorks is a thriving nonprofit organization with a 20-year history of providing affordable housing and relevant social and behavioral health services to metro Atlanta’s most vulnerable citizens. Its mission is to reduce homelessness and empower the marginalized by providing access to housing and services that foster dignity, self-sufficiency, and well-being. CaringWorks offers chronically homeless client’s access to housing, case management support, comprehensive mental health treatment and substance abuse services all “under one roof.” The objective is to help individuals and families achieve long-term housing stability and a sustainable quality of life.
In the last 20 years, the agency has grown into one of the largest providers of supportive housing in metropolitan Atlanta, serving over 800 households in 2020. In 2015, in response to a shortage of mental health treatment options for residents, CaringWorks became a state-licensed provider of behavioral health services.
The company is led by the President & CEO. The COO, CFO and Director of External Affairs are direct reports. The leadership team is currently comprised of the CEO, the CFO, the COO, the Director of External Affairs, the Clinical Director, and the Director of Residential Services. In carrying out its mission, Caring Works consists of two related parts:
- Behavioral Health which provides comprehensive outpatient services to address mental health and substance use disorders.
- Supportive Housing which provides access to affordable housing, case management and social supports
The COO will be directly responsible for overseeing daily operations and all programming which supports the organization’s mission and vision. S/he will maintain accountability for the operational and financial integrity of the organization. The COO works closely with fellow colleagues and all department managers to execute and/or monitor strategic business goals and objectives. The COO is responsible for leading and overseeing CaringWorks’ a diverse team of high performing managers, staff and volunteers.
CaringWorks has a highly inclusive and diverse culture which encourages team members to thrive while organizational outcomes are met. The team is highly interactive, and the COO’s role is to meet the company’s goals, while also making sure each department understands its role in relation to the other departments and the agency’s mission.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- In partnership with the CEO and leadership team, manages the strategic plan and recommends revisions to the plan as needed, and as aligned with tactical business plans.
- Leads and guides a team of managers and staff in implementation and integration of operational functions to include the oversight and maintenance of 400+ apartments, an outpatient clinic and day center, and a residential treatment facility.
- Ensures effective communication in all parts of the company in the areas of community impact, resource development and staff development among the managers.
- Provides for all staff solid and effective day-to-day leadership presence by practicing an “open door” policy.
- Continues the “coaching” culture of the organization, with a commitment to diversity, inclusion and flexibility.
- Leading People/Diversity & Inclusion – Promotes open, effective, and on-going communication amongst managers and staff, recognizing the agency is strengthened by its policy of diversity and inclusion which embraces a variety of experiences and multiple points of view.
- Developing Team – Works with the leadership team to identify and recruit key staff, and work with executive team in overseeing retention and succession planning.
- Setting performance goals: Works with each departmental leader to develop annual performance goals and workplans.
- Strategic Thinking & Planning Participation -- Oversees implementation of strategic plans, providing recommendations to the CEO and CFO regarding financial impact of decisions.
- Change Management – Leads on managing growth, and through continuous evaluations, ensures alignment of CaringWorks values, people, and behaviors to minimize derailment in furtherance of the mission.
- Managing Conflict – Guides and encourages the leadership team in building strong relationships among managers and employees based on fairness, trust, and mutual respect. Leads in resolving conflict equitably and quickly holding all levels of behavior and performance accountable.
- Operational Effectiveness – Leads the Operations team in developing systems and analytics to support decision making. Works with team to prepare summary reports and audits to agencies, funders, and key stakeholders.
- Budgeting / Fiscal Requirements – Works with the CFO and leadership team to develop the annual operations plan, assess fiscal needs and requirements, develop program and agency budgets, and manage expenditures.
- Talent Management – In partnership with the leadership team, works within CaringWorks tradition of encouraging “self-care” for all staff members. Oversees, through the managers, the supervision of all operational staff.
- Program Development & Community Impact – In partnership with the leadership team, oversees creation and implementation of new programs. Ensures accountabilities of programs align with mission and funding.
- Technology Management – Will assess existing technology then work with the team members to leverage and/or redesign processes, tools, and technology to improve operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in nonprofit management, behavioral health, affordable housing, and/or homelessness preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years executive leadership experience with proven successful operations management expertise.
- Strong strategic planning skills including execution expertise; at least 5 years of leading multi-layer teams.
- A solid grasp of data analysis and performance metrics
- Must successfully pass a background check and drug screen/test.
- If applicable, must possess a valid GA state driver’s license and liability insurance minimums as outlined in CaringWorks Liability insurance coverage.
Required Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Demonstrated strength in financial planning, budgeting, and analysis with previous experience overseeing non-profit, government-funded programs.
- Ability to interact and communicate clearly with the Board of Directors when needed.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communications skills and confidence in working with corporate and community leaders.