Would you like to be part of an energetic, inspired, and driven team that is making an impact in the world?
Are you a gifted technical writer who loves collaborating with a team to reach a shared goal and vision? Does writing proposals and reports, managing projects, and researching funding opportunities excite you? Would you like to be part of a team of fundraisers that are building and nurturing our network of supporters?
What if you could take all your writing, research and fundraising experience to make an impact on people and the planet? You can!
Plant With Purpose, a Christian development organization, reverses deforestation and poverty around the world by transforming the lives of the rural poor. For more than 30 years, Plant With Purpose has been a leader in linking international community development and environmental solutions, working with smallholder farmers in strategic locations where environmental degradation and poverty intersect. Plant With Purpose currently works in Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, the Dominican Republic, Ethiopia, Haiti, Mexico, Tanzania, and Thailand, and employs an integrated methodology that combines environmental restoration, economic empowerment, and spiritual renewal. Activities include watershed restoration, reforestation, sustainable agriculture training, savings-and-loan groups, local leadership development, and outreach efforts with the local Christian church.
Plant With Purpose Thrive25 Strategy Statement: Inspired by the impact of our work in service to rural communities around the world, we feel compelled to grow our programs to help address the rising need. By 2025, we plan to work in 10 countries, 60 watersheds, and with over 100,000 families. Our revenue will exceed $10 million as we seek to become the premier organization operating at the nexus of environmental restoration and poverty alleviation.
On July 1, 2020 we launched into a new strategic period where we plan to grow an average of 30% per year by 2025. The Senior Grant Writer will contribute to achieving this goal by providing foundational support to our fundraising efforts through grant and report writing, expanding our relationships with foundations and working closely with our fundraisers to reach their goals. We are looking for a team member who is both a gifted technical writer and effective storyteller, highly detail oriented and organized with excellent time and project management skills and passionate about research and learning.
As the Senior Grant Writer, you will play a key role in the fundraising function of Plant With Purpose operations by writing grant proposals, reports, and other documentation on time; offer strategic advice to fundraisers who are cultivating relationships with foundations and other donors; write technical topic papers; and maintain a strong understanding of program operations.
Reporting to the Grants and Development Systems Manager, your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Writing and editing proposals, letters of intent, concept notes, RFPs, and other necessary pieces for current and new funders. You will write compelling and accurate reports as requested by funders and fundraisers that articulates the mission, vision, and ministry to which God has called Plant With Purpose, in language directed to various audiences. This will include demonstrating a passion for and familiarity with each of the areas of Plant With Purpose’s mission, including environmental restoration, economic empowerment, and spiritual renewal. Along with researching, interpreting, and drafting program and financial information needed for the development of grant proposals and reports, you will also be responsible for offering strategic advice to fundraisers (Regional Representatives, Director of Strategic Partnerships, Chief Executive Officer, Director of Development) on ways to pitch Plant With Purpose programs in a manner that will most resonate with unique foundations and target audiences.
- Research and technical writing. You will research new grant opportunities and industry trends while partnering with the fundraising team, the programs team, and the COO to write strategic topic papers as requested and to assist in writing publications as needed.
- Managing grant systems. You will maintain accurate and timely records within Plant With Purpose Systems (e.g. Bloomerang and Grants management systems) and collaborate with the Grants and Development Systems Manager to manage the grants calendar and pipeline. You will collaborate with the International Programs Department to stay abreast of program developments and funding needs and meet with the Director of Development and Regional Representatives regularly to discuss funding strategies and opportunities.
- Foster a culture of collaboration, inclusion, and belonging as a leader within the grants team. As a senior writer, you will collaborate with the Grants Admin Assistant to maintain records and processes and often have one or more interns with whom you may choose to collaborate in writing, editing, and instruction in grant writing. As a leader, you will uphold and model Plant With Purpose’s Core Values in your behaviors and actions with our local staff, donors, and global partners.
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT YOU
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- You have 3-5 years experience in international non-profit setting
- 5+ years successful grant writing and compliance experience in a nonprofit environment with a proven record of securing grants from varied sources
- You have a deep commitment to the professional quality of your work
- History of soliciting and procuring government grants
- You have a high level of research, writing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills
- You have a solid knowledge and understanding of federal granting agencies, private foundations and corporate giving programs
- You are highly detail-oriented and can maintain systems for tracking grant deadlines, submissions, applications, works in progress, budgets, grant fulfillment, reporting deadlines, crediting and agreement stipulations to ensure that granting organizations expectations align with results
- You have strong project management skills, including time management, organizational skills, and effectively communicating with other team members
- You are able to speak about poverty, environmental degradation, and other global challenges in a way that offers hope and upholds the dignity of all people at all times
- You have the ability to manage multiple projects and numerous deadlines in parallel
- You must be able to understand and communicate effectively to a diverse Christian audience
- You may travel occasionally to international project sites in rural settings
- You are fluent in the use of MacOS, Microsoft Office Products (Excel, Word, Powerpoint), Google Suite products (GDrive, GDocs, GSheets), and Adobe
- You are eligible to work legally in the United States without employer sponsorship
- You act with courage and clear intent in the face of challenges, in an authentic, engaging, and self-effacing way.
- You believe in leading through vulnerability, by being open and authentic in order to inspire credibility and trust.
- You turn dilemmas into advantages and opportunities when confronted with challenging and complex situations.
- You are able to create quick, early versions of innovations with the expectation that later success will require early failures.
- You have the ability to implement and oversee an action-oriented approach to problem-solving and process improvement.
- You have the ability to listen, synthesize, and develop ideas and information, and have good follow through.
- You approach team-based work as a servant leader.
- You have experience living or working in a developing country or cross-cultural setting
- You have proficiency in one or more of the following languages: Spanish, French, Swahili, Thai
- You are competent in using Bloomerang or other donor database systems (CRMs)
- You have demonstrated experience in major gift fundraising systems
We are a collaborative, interdependent team that relies on relating and supporting each other to achieve our goals. Through the way we live in and shape our culture, we seek to build community and a sense of belonging in our local, national, and global families. Working at the Plant With Purpose team in the Senior Grant Writer position will require you to be a communicator, a learner, a servant leader, and an includer in the following ways:
- You deeply resonate with the holistic mission of Plant With Purpose and the diverse communities we seek to empower
- You have a personal alignment with our organizational core values of faith, collaboration, empowerment, innovation, stewardship, and sustainability
- You have a love for humanity, including those who live in poverty, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, or culture
- You intentionally build community and a team mentality by pursuing the "we" over the "me"
- You understand the priority of relationships in getting work done
- You feel most successful when the team succeeds
- You reflexively express gratitude and growth-oriented feedback
- You accept feedback with a growth mindset
- You listen with an intent to understand and ask clarifying questions
- You seek out learning and development opportunities
- You strive to be an inclusive person by being aware of the existence and impact of your unconscious biases, and working daily to check them
Compensation is dependent on geographical location and experience. A range based on this position's local market is available upon request.
- Health, dental, and vision insurances
- Life insurance (term)
- 401k match, up to 8%, after 6 months of employment
- 15 paid vacation days
- 8 paid sick days
- 12 paid holidays
- Visits to international programs, as arranged with supervisor (Due to COVID-19, international travel is cancelled. Once travel restrictions are released, these can be discussed with your direct supervisor)
LOCATION: We would prefer for this position to be based out of San Diego, but we also want to hire the best add to our team. Therefore, we are open to the candidate being remotely based within the United States.
START DATE: November 8-15, 2021
The above start date is preferred but can be adjusted in order to accommodate your unique situation.
APPLY BY: August 30, 2021
Does this sound like you? If so, please click on the "Apply For This Job" button. Make sure to include a cover letter with your resume that shows us how you are a great fit for this position, the organization, and our culture. Even though we are in the middle of COVID-19 and office closures, we are conducting virtual interviews in order to keep our candidates and employees safe.
Plant With Purpose is an EEO/AA employer by choice.
If you have any questions related to this position, or need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, please email Human Resources at email@example.com. No phone calls please.