The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Director for Government Relations. This position is part of the Government Relations and Public Affairs (GRPA) Department and is based in Washington, D.C.
The Director will set strategy for NED’s engagement with the U.S. Congress and the Executive Branch to share NED’s work and assist with NED’s annual budget and appropriations processes. The incumbent will coordinate with NED’s core institutes and collaborate with other NED Departments to share and advance understanding of the work of the Endowment.
- Set strategy and direct congressional outreach, working with the Vice President for Government Relations & Public Affairs (GRPA)
- Assist VP for GRPA with Executive Branch strategy
- Supervise NED Government Relations staff
- Supervise NED’s FOIA officer and responses to FOIA inquiries
- Manage NED’s annual budget submission with the Executive Branch
- Manage NED’s annual congressional appropriations process
- Coordinate responses to government oversight inquiries (State Department, IG and GAO)
- Coordinate with colleagues from Public Affairs and other NED Departments on events pertaining to the Hill or involving the Congress.
- Develop a professional network with other organizations and identify political trends that affect the work of the organization.
- Other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Master’s Degree or similar preferred;
- 11+ years of experience on Capitol Hill or equivalent in government/legislative affairs;
- PC proficiency in Windows-based environment.
- Ability to travel internationally, once or twice per year;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Superior written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task;
- Must possess a “customer service” orientation with the ability to build relationships and partner with colleagues;
- Strong collaboration skills capable of reaching across organizational hierarchies and structures.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references, one of which must be a supervisor. Please, no phone calls. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.