Events and Communications Manager
- Experience Level
**Please read the instructions carefully. To submit an application, do the following:
1) Read through this description below carefully
2) Use your phone or computer and do a 2 to 3 minute recording of yourself stating your name and what you're most proud of (a project or a job or anything). You can either upload your file to your own Google Drive link and then email the link to email@example.com OR you can submit the recording on this Google form shown in #3.
3) Fill out this Google form: https://forms.gle/LC7w4tVtUADVyu5M9
4) Email your resume and a cover letter addressed to Dr. Janny Chang, Executive Director to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the following heading in the Subject line: Job - Last Name, First Name.
**Please note that even if you don't fulfill all the requirements/qualifications shown below, but you are a quick learner and you're resourceful and adaptable and you feel like you'd be a great fit for our organization, we still encourage you to apply.
RUBY CENTRAL, INC.
a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt non-profit corporation
680 E Colorado Blvd. Suite 180
Pasadena, CA 91101
Title: Communications and Events Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Date prepared: July 2021
Ruby Central, Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and advancing the Ruby programming language and worldwide Ruby community. Ruby Central strives to accomplish this vision through fostering a global, safe, and inclusive community, producing impactful events and providing a powerful technical foundation for Ruby. We are a small team that organizes 2 major conferences a year and we are growing fast. This job is for you if you like change, you’re resourceful, and you thrive in a start-up and entrepreneurial culture.
Ruby Central, Inc., seeks a full-time Communications and Events Manager to provide communications support and event and program planning. We plan two major conferences a year for our Ruby community and a major aspect of this job is to undertake the project management and operational aspects of conference planning. This job will also entail providing support in communications-related areas, including, but not limited to, social media posts, messaging, strategy, and use of our other platforms and organizing and executing public and virtual events for our community.
Virtual. We are 100% remote.
This is a full-time 40 hour/week position with excellent benefits and flexible work schedules. The salary range is $65,000 to $75,000.
Event Planning and Production includes, but is not limited to:
• Create and manage the timeline, program and task list for all Ruby Central-hosted events
• Lead all event planning and production meetings and discussions.
• Lead collaboration with any contractors we have on event concept, graphic design/production/printing, and event marketing.
• Negotiate costs and services with vendors; book event space, arrange food and beverage, order all supplies/decorations, coordinate audiovisual equipment & operation, make travel arrangements.
• Coordinate the logistics for shipping supplies and staff travel to the event location.
• Secure volunteers; manage the staff and volunteers working at the event.
• Work with our Program Chairs to help secure speakers
• Work with venue to create/revise room layouts/seating arrangements for each event as necessary.
• Manage on-site production and clean up for events as necessary.
• Organize and manage the invitation, registration and attendee check-in processes.
• Manage the follow-up with vendors, sponsors and staff members following each event.
Event Revenue Generation includes, but is not limited to:
• Work with our Sponsorship Manager to execute event sponsorship packages and schedules involving sponsors
• Strategize ways to increase ticket sales and exceed revenue goals year by year
Event Administration includes but is not limited to:
• Assist the ED with preparing budgets for conferences
• Keep track of event finances including check requests, invoicing, and reporting.
• Research venue options, coordinate appointments and visits to see venue space, and schedule events on the calendar.
• Prepare and modify event contracts as requested
• Develop and implement communications goal and strategies for the organization based on our mission and vision
• Help with outreach materials and online communications including creating campaigns, videos, infographics as needed and posting on our online platforms
• Engage donor, members, and other stakeholders in our community
• Draft media releases and manage the media communications as needed
• Support our membership program and fundraising efforts as needed
• Implement our digital strategy and measure its reach and impact
• Plan and execute virtual events that bring out community closer together
• Additional tasks related to communications and event planning
• 3 to 5 years of experience in communications and event planning for a nonprofit
• Organized with excellent attention to detail
• Entrepreneurial and resourceful and likes the energy of a start-up culture
• Experience writing and editing copy and enjoys working with people
• Is a total team player and fills in where needed
• Able to work remotely
• Strong problem-solving skills and has a can-do attitude
• Able to work in an inclusive environment
• Willingness to learn and be trained and continue training where needed