Director of Development
- Degree Level
Lazarus House started in 1982 as a homeless shelter and has expanded to include a soup kitchen, food pantry, a transitional housing center, wrap-around social service programs and connections to community services and partners. Lazarus House enjoys a strong name recognition and a reputation as a charity of choice in the Merrimack Valley.
Our Mission is:
To honor God in our work by serving every person we encounter with dignity and respect. We offer community, food, shelter, clothing, and advocacy services with an open and non-judgmental heart.
The new Director of Development begins their tenure at an exciting time for Lazarus House. Our financial position is strong, enjoy high levels of respect, cooperation and collegiality among our managers, and our Executive Team is just now completing a comprehensive Strategic Plan that will guide the Ministry (and our development priorities) for the next four years. Our revenue goal has been at ~$4m, however, under the leadership of our Executive Director (arrived in 2019) we are preparing to expand services and make improvements across the Ministry. To meet our strategic goals, we are looking to increase revenues to $5M in the next three years.
Position Summary: The Director of Development (DoD) will have the primary responsibility for raising $5M+ in operating funds as well as additional capital funding. The DoD will create and develop a sustainable fundraising infrastructure to keep pace with program growth. The DoD will create numerous, efficient, and compelling opportunities for donors to support Lazarus House Ministries and make the experience of giving rewarding and impactful to encourage sustained giving. Reporting to the Executive Director, this position is part of the Executive Team.
- Lead, inspire and coach a team of development professionals comprised of a Grants Manager, Major Gifts Officer, Manager of Stewardship and Engagement, Events Coordinator, Database Manager and Development Associate.
- Sustain a highly effective, positive, team environment within the Development Team
- Maintain beautiful cooperation with leaders across the Ministry.
- Implement policies and procedures to guide Development Team’s efforts, decisions, and practices.
- Advance Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging within the Development Team
- Mentor, set goals, and conduct twice-yearly evaluations of each member of your talented and dedicated development team.
- Select next generation software to improve efficiency and effectiveness within development.
- Working alongside the Executive Director and the Board of Directors, establish annual revenue/fundraising goals and budgets.
- Develop a Strategic Plan for Development to ensure fundraising aligns with and supports the strategic goals for FY22-FY25 and the future growth of the Ministry.
- Oversee efforts to identify and secure State/Government funding opportunities that align with our mission, vision, and values.
- Provide strategic direction over the grant submission process; identify new funding sources and collaborate with managers to determine funding needs.
- Manage the planning and execution of fundraising events to ensure maximum revenue, donor acquisition and participant engagement and experience.
- Assess current and create new fundraising events.
- Consult and engage the Development Committee when creating strategies for fundraising.
- Manage comprehensive donor strategies including identification, cultivation, motivation, enhancement, engagement, recognition, and stewardship to build warm, robust donor relationships.
- Build and manage a portfolio of donors: qualify capacity, engage, solicit, and steward to encourage maximum philanthropic support.
- Identify new donor prospects and funding sources.
- Create donor portfolios of DoD, Major Gifts Officer, Executive Director, and members of the Development Committee of the Board.
- Leverage the philanthropic potential of all donors, volunteers, and Board Members, where significant resources exist.
- Secure and increase Event Sponsorships, auction items and participation from individual, foundation and corporate sources.
- Create and execute successful annual appeals and special campaigns.
- Create a system to cultivate planned giving as a revenue stream.
- Partner with other areas of the Ministry to cultivate volunteers and in-kind supporters as financial supporters.
- Work in close collaboration with the Director of Communications to plan and implement a comprehensive development (fundraising-focused) communications plan that:
- Targets messaging to leverage fundraising efforts
- Promotes Lazarus House as a charity of choice within the Merrimack Valley
- Communicates fundraising needs and the impact they will have on the Ministry’s efforts
- Ensure that each member of the Development Team’s verbal and written communication maintains donor confidence and trust by:
- Being truthful, accurate, and authentic in storytelling efforts
- Set clear expectations with donors that build trust
- Respect the dignity and privacy of our Guests in pursuit of our objectives.
- With the Committee Chair, direct the Development Committee of the Board.
- Manage the Boston Marathon Fundraiser.
- Oversee the execution of our three main events (Hike, Golf, and Gala).
- Create new development events/experiences that appeal to younger generations of donors.
- Demonstrate strong commitment to the mission of Lazarus House Ministries.
- Understanding and support of how the Gospel foundation drives our decisions and actions throughout the Ministry.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proven success as leader of a non-profit development team with annual revenues of $4M+
- Evaluating programs, and working with a Board of Directors
- Proven excellence in the creation and implementation of multi-year strategies to increase revenues.
- Excellent communicator with the ability to cultivate major donors and make substantial asks.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, manage multiple priorities, solve problems, and foster a positive team environment.
- Familiarity with Lawrence and bi-lingual in English and Spanish a plus.
- A solid knowledge of Raiser’s Edge.
TO APPLY PLEASE SEND YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The information described here includes but is not necessarily limited to the general physical requirements, demands and/or working conditions that an employee is likely to encounter at Lazarus House, Inc. You must be able to handle or possess the ability to meet the following:
- Prolonged sitting and standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching.
- Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to operate equipment pertinent to your position.
- Occasional lifting, moving, and carrying of up to 50 pounds.
- Travel from building to building within the ministry and external agencies.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to work with diverse populations, including people who are homeless or have a mental illness or other challenges.
- Interact effectively with staff, guests, volunteers, benefactors, and the general public.
- Manage multiple priorities
- Able to manage the stress of the job