Workers’ Rights Community Advocate
7 days left
- Experience Level
Workers’ Rights Community Advocate
Advancing Justice - Asian Law Caucus
Based in San Francisco
Regular, Non-Exempt, Full-time Position Temporarily Remote
Applications due by July 30, 2021.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus (Advancing Justice – ALC) seeks an empathetic, enthusiastic, creative, detail-oriented, and self-motivated Community Advocate to join its dynamic community-based Workers’ Rights program for low-income, immigrant workers. Our program works on a wide range of workplace issues, including wage and hour violations, race and national origin discrimination, retaliation, unemployment insurance benefits issues, and health and safety concerns. We also partner regularly with worker centers to provide legal support for workplace organizing and worker-led campaigns. The Community Advocate will conduct legal intakes, provide client and case management support for the program’s legal cases, coordinate the program’s legal counseling clinic, conduct community outreach to both provide workers’ rights information and help identify and advocate around trends or patterns regarding the kinds of labor/employment-related problems facing the communities Advancing Justice - ALC serves. The Community Advocate also helps the Program Manager with reporting requirements for funders.
Advancing Justice – ALC is the nation’s first legal organization focusing on advancing and defending the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPIs). Since 1972, Advancing Justice – ALC has litigated high-profile civil rights cases, advocated for the passage of landmark policy changes, and provided an array of services, including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation to further the rights of low-income immigrants and communities of color. Current program areas include Workers’ Rights, Immigrant Rights, Housing Rights, Criminal Justice Reform, National Security & Civil Rights, and Voting Rights. A growing staff of 46 provides strong collegial support and opportunities to learn about and collaborate with other program areas. Advancing Justice - ALC is a founding member of the national Asian Americans Advancing Justice affiliation with partners in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, and Washington, D.C.
Advancing Justice – ALC is based in San Francisco, a hub of the Asian American rights movement, progressive politics, and social justice activism. Our location in Chinatown is the first mixed-use, affordable housing co-op in San Francisco, serving as a model for preserving affordable housing in the city and protecting tenants’ rights.
This position will report directly to the Program Manager. Day-to-day activities vary in this dynamic position and include the following:
Community Outreach and Strategic Engagement
- Developing and maintaining relationships with community members and community partners
Conducting community outreach about basic workplace rights and developing related educational materials (including print and media)
- Collaborating with allies and organizations in joint community efforts, initiatives, and legal cases
- Working on a team to support campaign-related planning and implementation
- Representing Advancing Justice-ALC at coalition and agency meetings
Legal and Administrative Support
- Providing paralegal and legal assistant support for the program’s legal cases, as needed
- Providing case related research and representation in administrative forums as directed by staff attorneys
- Assisting the Program Manager with reports needed for outside funders, including government and private foundation grants
Other duties, as assigned by the Program Manager
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the rights of low-income, people of color, immigrant, or worker communities, with experience working with low-income AAPI and/or Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, and South Asian (AMEMSA) communities and/or other immigrant communities
Ability to work well with diverse groups and individuals
- Excellent research, analytical, written and oral communication skills, and strong interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks in a timely manner
- Spoken language fluency in Cantonese
- Written language fluency in Chinese,strongly preferred
- Technical proficiency, particularly with Google Suite apps (including Gmail, Drive, Sheets, Voice) and Microsoft (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- BA/BS, with work experience preferred
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings
- Ability to drive
Compensation and Benefits
This is a regular, full-time, non-exempt position. Salary is based on ALC’s salary scale, which accounts for years of relevant experience and may be governed by the terms of a union contract. Advancing Justice - ALC offers a generous benefits package.
Interested candidates should submit via email to email@example.com (as PDF attachments), including the following:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- A writing sample of your work (no more than 5 pages)
- Three (3) professional references
Please indicate “Workers’ Rights Community Advocate” in the subject line.
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, HIV status, height, weight, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.