Deputy Community Organizing Director
- Experience Level
Deputy Organizing Director
New Virginia Majority (NVM) is Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization that builds power in working-class communities of color across the Commonwealth. We seek conscious and skilled individuals with a deep commitment to racial and economic justice. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Deputy Organizing Director (1)
POSITION TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Richmond, Hampton Roads, or Northern VA (preference for Richmond and Hampton Roads)
DESCRIPTION: New Virginia Majority is hiring a full-time Deputy Organizing Director. This work involves supervising and working with lead community organizers and member leaders on specific issue campaigns, base-building, and member leader development.
- Help Lead New Virginia Majority’s multi-issue campaigns, supervising lead community organizers, issue campaigns and mobilizations to build leaders and power in working-class communities of color across the Commonwealth
- Working with lead community organizers, oversee efforts to manage regular membership meetings with a standing agenda and support new leaders to facilitate meetings geared towards peer engagement and immediate activation
- Support actions, training and mobilization opportunities in order to activate members and activists
- Mobilize and track ladder of engagement of members and activists at various events and field opportunities in database
- Develop the popular consciousness of members through popular education, reflection, and leadership development
- Provide support to leaders
- Participate in campaign development, strategizing, and implementation
- Participate in building campaign coalitions and key relationships with campaign-related allies
- Perform other duties as required
- Committed to New Virginia Majority’s mission of social, racial and economic justice
- Provide support to leadership organizing organizing
- At least 4 years paid organizing experience, leading and executing issue campaigns successfully
- At least 1 year of full time experience supervising and developing community organizers
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines and able to develop and move projects forward with independence and autonomy
- Self-motivated and works well both independently and on a team
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, manage multiple projects
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback
- Experience organizing in / with communities of color, including immigrants
- Driver’s license and access to a car
- A minimum one-year commitment to the position
- Bilingual english and spanish proficiency preferred
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
The salary range is $57,000-$67,000, commensurate with experience, and comes with an excellent benefits package, including health, vision, dental, and stipends for phone use.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter and resume and contact information for three references to https://www.newvirginiamajority.org/jobs.
Due to the high volume of applications, we are not able to respond to applicants whose candidacy is not being pursued. No phone calls or email please.
New Virginia Majority is an equal opportunity employer. NVM recruits, hires, trains and promotes without regard to race, creed, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability condition, or marital status. NVM hires employees based upon qualifications, experience, and training required for the successful performance of the job as defined in the written job description.