- Experience Level
JOB SUMMARY: The Assistant Teacher is responsible for assisting the Teacher in meeting the educational, safety, hygiene, nutrition, and nurturing needs of children including ensuring the development and safety of these children in accordance with relevant federal, territorial and municipal legislation and policies. This position is under the supervision of the Childcare Manager.
- Works closely with Teacher assuming responsibility for the daily program of activities and experiences, including carrying out weekly lesson plans, room themes, and educational décor
- Provides instruction that encourages or supports intellectual growth.
- Shares with other child staff housekeeping and rotational duties, including nap supervision.
- Nurtures, listens to, and disciplines (teaching appropriate behavior) the children.
- Attends and completes a minimum of four (4) workshops, seminars, and/or conferences related to Early Childhood Development/Education within a calendar year. (This does not include required CPR/First Aid Training).
- Assists in determining supplies and equipment needed for the classroom.
- Interacts with children in activities being supervised.
- Actively participates with children during outdoor play.
- Assists with children’s assessments and provides daily feedback to Teacher, Instructional Lead Teacher, and Childcare Manager.
- Works cooperatively in a team approach with other staff, volunteers, and parents.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Teacher, Instructional Lead Teacher, and Childcare Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Education: High school diploma required.
- Training and Experience: CDA certificate or AA degree preferred; minimum of 3 years in an infant and/or toddler setting; training in early childhood education/development required.
- Other: Care and concern for children; must be flexible and able to relate to the needs of homeless children; understanding of child growth and development; ability to accept and work with low-income, multi-problem families.
- PREFERRED: Knowledge and understanding of the homeless population and/or experience working with low-income families. Experience working in NAEYC Accredited childcare facility. SALARY: Paid at an competitive hourly rate..
PLEASE SEND COVER LETTER, RESUME AND SALARY HISTORY VIA E-MAIL TO: email@example.com (NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE ) APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
ORGANIZATION: The Atlanta Children’s Shelter, Inc. is a private nonprofit agency that provides childcare and family support services to homeless families. The Atlanta Children’s Shelter is an equal opportunity employer.