The Alaska Center and The Alaska Center Education Fund seek an experienced, dedicated, and talented Communications Manager to help advance our vision of a thriving, just, and sustainable Alaska for current and future generations. Our Communications Manager will work with our youth engagement, advocacy, and political programs as well as our development and communications teams to engage, inspire, and galvanize thousands of Alaskans to take action on various issues and support leaders who share our vision. The ideal candidate will be eager to cultivate and grow our communications outreach and organization visibility with volunteers and donors, be skilled at utilizing creative social media and digital communications tools, have a keen eye for written detail and design, and understand the power of storytelling to connect with a diverse array of communities.
The Alaska Center engages, empowers, and elects Alaskans to stand up for clean air and water, a strong democracy, and healthy and resilient communities. We are working to transition our state from an extractive economy to an equitable, just, and clean energy economy in which all Alaskans can thrive. We advocate for the protection of salmon habitat, clean energy solutions in the face of rapid climate change, and amplifying Alaskans’ voices in the public process. Our sister organization The Alaska Center Education Fund provides education and leadership development for children and youth, and promotes civic engagement.
- Communicate our organization's activities and actions through emails, print, social, and creative communications platforms;
- Identify the target audiences and channels which are best suited for our campaign messages and development goals, and implement strategies to reach those audiences;
- Create impactful communications materials for social and digital media, including blogs, short videos, infographics, and other visual assets;
- Write copy for social media posts and frame content for different platforms based on audience and narrative;
- Update content on websites as needed;
- Organize and amplify digital tactics for key campaign moments (online and offline actions, elections, camp enrollment, fundraising, etc) to broaden our reach to impacted and interested audiences;
- Track and analyze digital metrics to measure success and identify key lessons from campaigns and projects, including through Google tags and analytics, and use those metrics to strengthen our digital communications;
- Manage and post search engine optimized content on websites and promote key pieces of content and campaign moments;
- Provide digital communications materials support for collaborative campaigns with partner organizations;
- Manage staff and strategy to develop, strengthen, and nurture relationships through social media with volunteers, donors, AK Center Members, and the communities we serve, with a focus on communities most impacted by the issues we work on, including Alaska Native, people of color, youth, and low-income communities;
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- 3 years of experience with running long-term narrative and responsive action campaigns. Volunteer and paid experience are applicable;
- Passion for The Alaska Center’s mission and programs;
- Ability to meaningfully engage Alaskans from diverse backgrounds;
- Commitment to decolonizing practices and understanding race, class, gender, and other equity issues in organizing and politics;
- Experience and commitment to strengthening racial justice, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization, in campaigns, and with partners;
- Innovation, ability to take risks, constant curiosity and desire to learn;
- Excellent organization and planning skills. Experience with social media planning tools is a plus;
- Experience with website design tools like WordPress;
- Experience using Adobe design suite;
- Excellent written communication skills. Demonstrated experience writing for different audiences and mediums;
- Experience with creating content, targeting, and ads for Facebook, Twitter, Google, Instagram, and more social platforms;
- Ability to think creatively and work collaboratively;
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and solution-based approach in high pressure or difficult situations.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience with Google-Suite platforms;
- Experience with content management systems;
- Experience with Voter Action Network (VAN) and EveryAction (EA);
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, respond quickly to emerging opportunities, and changing circumstances;
This is a full-time position. Salary is dependent on experience with a generous and competitive benefits package. All The Alaska Center staff have access to professional development opportunities, including training and support. The Alaska Center provides a supportive work environment with excellent benefits and incentives. The Alaska Center is an equal opportunity employer. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
We are committed to supporting, centering, and working with Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, Working-Class and Low-Income people, Women, LGBTQIA2+ people, and Disabled people in addressing the many crises that impact us. We strongly encourage people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities to apply.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Position open until filled. The first review of applications will be on July 22, 2021. No phone calls, please.