Director of Communications
- Experience Level
National History Day® is looking for an entrepreneurial communications expert to elevate the National History Day brand as a premier educational nonprofit.
National History Day (NHD) is a highly-regarded organization that offers a year-long academic program focused on historical research, interpretation, and creative expression for students in grades 6-12, culminating in a national competition held near Washington, D.C. NHD works with affiliate programs across the U.S. and abroad to implement its programs at the local level and supports teachers through resources and programs.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this senior staff member boosts visibility by generating and executing comprehensive annual communications plans focused on traditional and digital communications. The Communications Director advises other staff on communications issues, maintains productive working relationships with 58 national and international affiliate coordinators, and directs outreach to alumni. Some travel is required for this position. The ideal candidate is passionate about education, enjoys working with students, and has experience managing media relations with a nonprofit organization.
- Develop and implement an integrated, organization-wide strategic communications plan to broaden and measure awareness of goals and accomplishments of National History Day.
- Support affiliate coordinators in growing NHD audiences, with a specific focus on teachers, students, and potential donors.
- Generate and distribute all press materials, including press releases, media advisories, media pitches, and responses to media inquiries.
- Develop and pitch stories to regional, national, and international media, and cultivate ongoing relationships with key reporters.
- Maintain the NHD website, which receives more than three million page views annually, in conjunction with contracted website vendors.
- Create and distribute marketing materials such as flyers, email marketing templates, digital advertising, annual reports, and web content.
- Manage and produce social media content and engagement.
- Produce monthly newsletters for teachers and alumni.
- Cultivate relationships with key alumni.
- Track communications coverage and produce reports.
- Work closely with other staff and manage NHD’s Technology Manager.
- Undergraduate degree in communications, public relations, or a related field
- Superior written and verbal communication skills with proven experience targeting a wide range of audiences
- Significant experience in the communications field
- Experience with and knowledge of social media etiquette, algorithms, and audiences
- Proven success in building and managing communications plans
- Experience developing and executing communications, marketing, or public relations strategies
- Experience managing and executing across several different forms of media
- Knowledge of website management and email marketing platforms
- Superior organization and commitment to responsibilities
- Vital team member with the ability to direct, execute, and manage initiatives
- Experience supervising others
- Graduate degree in communications, public relations, or a related field
- Experience with crisis communications and acting as a company spokesperson
- Relationships with media outlets at diverse publications nationally and regionally
- Experience with website optimization and SEO
- Experience measuring, presenting, and acting on data analytics
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and media databases
Salary and Benefits
In addition to a full-time salary in the range of $85,000-90,000, depending upon experience, we offer:
- Competitive comprehensive health benefits including dental and vision; and
- A 403b retirement plan with generous employer contributions.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter explaining your interest in National History Day®, the position, and your experience in communications, and a writing sample. Email materials to email@example.com with the subject line “Director of Communications.”