After School Counselor
Type: Part Time
Hourly Rate: $12.00-$13.00 per hour DOQ
Location: Schools and community centers in Decatur, GA
School Year August 2021 - May 2022
Work Hours: 2:00 pm - 6:15 pm Monday-Friday (school days); some Saturdays and evenings for training. Position starts immediately, no leave offered.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Reporting to the Site Director, the Counselor is responsible for following age-appropriate lesson plans that contain recreational, educational and cultural activities for children. Activities include (but are not limited to) STEM, arts, drama, recreation, music, dance, gardening, community service and youth leadership.
- Provide active supervision of children while leading activities or supervising play.
- Ensure a safe and positive environment that allows for healthy development, growth and learning.
- Establish and maintain positive lines of communication with parents and/or guardians of participants, including daily conversations, phone calls and/or writing articles for social media.
- Represent the City of Decatur Children and Youth Services division on field trips, special events, assemblies and program-wide activities as assigned.
- Participate in training and bi-monthly staff meetings.
- Maintain cleanliness of the program area daily.
- Other responsibilities as assigned or required.
The qualified candidates will possess a bachelor’s degree or any combination equivalent to a high school diploma supplemented by college-level course work in child development or related field and two years’ experience in an educational program providing direct service to youths. Teaching experience is preferred as well as experience teaching STEM or Leadership activities to children.
Must have good interpersonal skills, a passion for working with children, leadership skills, and have no convictions of moral turpitude. Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing. Must have a demonstrated competency in the planning and implementation of recreational activities.
Must be certified in CPR and first aid, or be able to obtain certification. Able to work in a variety of extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time.
Must have the ability to see, hear, bend, squat, twist and stand for extended periods of time. Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds. Must have a professional demeanor and pass a criminal background and reference check.