Director of Youth Ministries
Working with the pastoral staff at San Ramon Valley United Methodist Church, the Director of Youth Ministries is responsible for the program to provide a welcoming, safe, and supportive environment for church youth in grades 6 through 12. The Director of Youth Ministries provides experiences that foster personal growth and self-worth and opportunities for growth in Christian discipleship and relationships with church members of all ages. SRVUMC is a Christian community dedicated to sharing God’s love and transforming the world through service. SRVUMC is a welcoming and inclusive Reconciling Congregation of approximately 500 members.
- Plan and implement programs for appropriate introductions and pathways to growth in Christian faith and community, consistent with the Christian mission of SRVUMC.
- Lead retreats, trips, Sunday School, Youth Fellowship, service opportunities, and outings that provide opportunities for fun among friends.
- Promote in our youth a positive self-image that embraces the uniqueness of each individual, helping them to reach their full potential.
- Support the understanding that the diversity of races, cultures, religious perspectives, and gender expression is a gift that enriches us all, and foster wonder and respect for nature as caretakers of the natural environment.
- Collaborate with other staff members to maintain a connection to Family Ministry, music ministry, and pastoral care.
- Expand the community of youth served by SRVUMC through active recruitment and relational activities with existing youth members.
- Maintain a robust and effective social media presence for youth ministry.
- Share information about the youth program with the congregation in person and through regular communications in church publications.
- Actively participate in staff meetings.
- Develop, secure approval for, and ensure compliance with an annual budget.
- Consistently practice and model personal spiritual and professional growth.
Experience: Two to three years’ experience working, teaching, counseling, or coaching middle school and high school youth, or serving in a supportive role in a church youth program, or directing the development of youth as a camp counselor or school teacher. The successful candidate will be expected to discuss their successful experiences interacting with and bearing responsibility for youth.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university preferred; course work after graduation from high school will be considered.
Characteristics and Skills:
- Enthusiasm for ministry with youth
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- An upbeat and positive attitude
- Respect and acceptance of others
- Personal strength and stability
- Creative implementation of programs
- Ability to welcome, accept, and involve young people who are unfamiliar with the church
- Ability to organize, lead, conduct meetings, and team-build
- Ability to build relationships across generations and to recruit, inspire and equip volunteers
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Classification: Full time, Non-Exempt
Resumes may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Principals only. Recruiters, please do not contact this job poster.