Title: Immigration Paralegal
Salary: Based on Experience
Education: Bachelor’s Degree Required
Location: Atlanta, GA
The Georgia Asylum & Immigration Network (GAIN), a nonprofit organization with a mission of providing free immigration legal services to victims of crime and persecution, is seeking a full-time Immigration Paralegal to support its flagship asylum program.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all GAIN clients seeking immigration relief through its asylum program;
- Screen and assist with the placement of GAIN’s asylum cases with staff or pro bono attorneys;
- Identify and obtain required documentation for each case under the supervision of GAIN staff attorney(s);
- Prepare applications for employment authorization; fee waivers, FOIA requests, and other related filings;
- Assist with brief-writing, legal research, and document translation;
- Provide administrative support to GAIN staff attorneys, including scheduling consultations, maintaining files, managing deadlines, etc.;
- Support the needs of GAIN’s pro bono volunteers, providing periodic check-ins, technical assistance, and administrative support;
- Prepare client correspondence and maintain ongoing communication;
- Create and maintain records for all client cases, including entry of data into case management systems;
- Participate in trainings and community outreach;
- Assist with data collection for grants and reports (as needed);
- Management and supervision of interns (as needed);
- Other duties as assigned.
This position requires a very high level of organization and attention to detail, a strong work ethic, intuition, and the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and work in a fast-paced environment. Applicants should exhibit professionalism when communicating with clients, volunteer attorneys, community partners, etc. Client sensitivity and cultural competency are required.
Applicants should be a fast learner and possess strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Docs, and understanding of database administration. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required. Applicants must be comfortable working in a legal setting. Fluency in Spanish (speaking/writing) is mandatory.
This is an ideal position for someone looking to gain insight into public interest law and/or the nonprofit community. For more information about GAIN, please visit us at www.georgiaasylum.org
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
GAIN is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people of color, including bilingual and bi-cultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.