Attorney – Immigration
- Willingness to Travel
- up to 25%
NCYL seeks an Attorney to join our Immigration team, focused on advocating for immigrant children, including unaccompanied children in federal immigration custody, and children involved in state child welfare and/or juvenile justice systems. The Attorney will focus on litigating on behalf of immigrant children and supporting policy initiatives focused on improving outcomes for immigrant children. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to join a highly collaborative team and have systemic impact on young people.
- Litigation, and post-litigation enforcement of judgments/settlements, including drafting complaints, motions, memoranda, and briefs; and engaging in discovery.
- Providing legal research, writing, and analysis.
- Case development, including on-site interviews in federal detention centers and investigations and analysis of legal claims.
- Collaborating with other NCYL staff and co-counsel to advance litigation and policy initiatives.
- Collaborating with immigrant children’s advocates.
- Drafting resources for judges, child welfare, and juvenile justice professionals on a range of issues impacting immigrant children.
- Tracking legislative and policy changes impacting immigrant children.
- J.D. Degree
- Admitted to practice law in California OR eligible to be admitted to practice law in California.
- Minimum 2 years of litigation experience at a public interest law firm, private firm, or government agency.
- Demonstrated commitment to advocating for children and youth and to NCYL’s overarching goals and objectives.
- Ability to use a racial justice lens.
- Fluency in oral and written Spanish.
- Knowledge of immigration law.
- Direct experience with, or have been impacted by, the immigration system.
- Experience with impact litigation, including class actions and other forms of systemic litigation.
- Ability to collaborate with other community partners.
- Excellent analytic, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team.
- Ability to manage complex projects including strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines and produce high-quality work product in a fast-paced environment.
- Creative problem solving and ability to stay focused on the big picture.