- Degree Level
Position Title: Development Associate
Reports to: Development Manager
Location: 1757 Waller Street, San Francisco, CA 94117
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Safe & Sound (formerly the San Francisco Child Abuse Prevention Center) is a children’s advocacy organization working to prevent child abuse and reduce its devastating impact on the child, their family, and our entire community.
We have been a pioneer in the field of child abuse prevention, working within San Francisco for more 40 years. Recently the organization has begun to expand its impact working throughout the state of California.
Child Abuse is a complex problem, but a preventable one. Our data-informed approach leverages three primary strategies: we empower children with knowledge and confidence; we support families providing resources and skills; we activate the community and the changemakers within it to create a thriving social safety net for children and their families.
The organization has an annual operating budget of approximately $8 million and is supported by approximately 60 staff, interns, and more than 80 volunteers. Safe & Sound’s headquarters is located in a historic firehouse in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood of San Francisco, with a second office in the Bayview neighborhood.
More information is available at: www.safeandsound.org.
This full-time non-exempt position is responsible for supporting the efficient, fast-paced Development team made up of the Chief Development Officer (CDO), Individual Giving Officer (IGO), Institutional Giving Officer, Donor Engagement Manager, Volunteer & Community Engagement Manager (VCEM), and Grants Manager. This includes maintaining and managing the donor database (Salesforce), communicating with donors and prospects, preparing and mailing annual mail appeals, tracking grant deadlines and action items, generating reports, and other development collateral and events. The Development Associate reports to the Donor Engagement Manager.
The primary role of the Development Associate is to support the efficient and effective internal day to day functioning of the Development Department.
Data Maintenance, Management and Reporting
- Maintain accurate database tracking of fundraising progress and provide timely data to ensure deadlines and fundraising goals are met.
- Gift and pledge processing, data entry and acknowledge gifts in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Assist in providing detailed prospect reports in support of donor cultivation and stewardship activities.
- Enter donor profile notes and activities into Salesforce.
- Help create reports and reconcile finances for the annual audit and self-assessment processes and resolve any issues.
- Work with the team to manage revenue projection and expense budget, as well as pledges and pledge fulfillment.
- Ensure proper donor recognition and provide accurate donor lists for publications.
- Work with the team to update the volunteer database as needed.
Grant Proposals, Reports and Written Requests
- Maintain well-organized electronic and hard copy files for foundations, government, individual, and corporate donors.
- Research and maintain files on prospective foundation and corporate grantors. Make recommendations based on research conducted.
- Perform general office tasks including filing, copying, and compiling documents.
- Regularly update and produce donor solicitation packets and collateral.
- Assist with collating, printing, and proofing printed materials; as well as working with volunteers to assemble pieces for annual mail appeals (Summer and End of Year) and other mailings.
- Work closely with finance to reconcile Development credit card and monthly closure.
- Coordinate office supplies and print needs, including letterhead and business cards, ensure department storage and supplies are organized and meet the needs of the team.
- Assist in writing and editing materials.
- Create visuals and content for social media and post; Build social following and increase community engagement across main social channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn).
- Help maintain the website.
- Research projects as directed and assist in outreaching to press, and partners as needed.
- Participate in Development committee meetings, fundraising planning meetings, staff meetings, and events.
- Work closely with the team to provide support for donor-related events (Annual Blue Ribbon Luncheon, Pinwheel Party, donor house parties, site visits, tours). Activities include:
- Manage RSVP guest lists.
- Communicate with hosts, vendors, and donors.
- Maintain event budgets (both revenue and expenses).
- Work with the team to proofread and produce event collateral.
- Take a lead role in day-of support with event set-up, volunteer management, and guest registration.
- Assist in the research and solicitation of in-kind donors for events.
Undertake other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Basic understanding of fundraising principles and proven basic fundraising skills specific to supporting individual, foundation, corporate and major donor cultivation.
- Solid writing and editing skills.
- Database experience including donor databases such as Salesforce, Excel spreadsheets, recording and maintaining electronic files, and running reports.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to meet strict deadlines and to carry out complex and technical assignments with careful attention to detail.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Docs / Drive, and Adobe
- Proactive team player with the ability to juggle multiple competing priorities while maintaining a sense of humor.
- Graphic design skills are a plus.
- Full time (40 hours per week)
- Hours depend upon specific need and may change
- Non-Exempt (i.e. hourly paid)
- Typical Working Conditions
- Heavy keyboard work; answering phones
- Equipment Used
- Computer, phone, fax, copier.
- Essential Physical Tasks
- Light lifting required; including lifting of children up to 50 pounds, and event materials to and from event spaces.
- Quick movement and ability to be on feet for many hours needed for event facilitation.
- Travel within the neighborhood and occasionally to our Bayview site (3450 3rd St).
The base salary for this position is $54,706.10 annually and eligible for agency sponsored benefits.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Safe & Sound is committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive full consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and a detailed cover letter to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.