- Experience Level
Community Initiatives is an Oakland-based nonprofit service organization providing over 100 nonprofit projects with fiscal sponsorship services including tax-exemption, accounting and financial oversight, risk management and insurance, legal compliance, grants management, payroll, and human resource services. Our fiscally sponsored projects (FSPs) represent all nonprofit sectors––arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services, and public affairs. While many of our projects are in the San Francisco Bay Area, others operate in various states and international locations.
The Project Accountant position is a hands-on growth position responsible for the accurate and timely provision of accounting services to support and enhance the Community Initiative’s clients. The Project Accountant will have a working relationship with the Client Services Team and the various projects sponsored by Community Initiatives, as well as provide support for other positions within the administrative section of the organization. Reports to the Project Accountant Supervisor.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- First contact for clients regarding finance and accounting issues
- Explain financial statements to clients that have limited or no understanding of them
- Compiles and analyzes client financial information including annual budget data
- Develops integrated revenue/expense analyses and reports
- Ensures financial information has been recorded accurately
- Performs reconciliations of accounts
- Prepares balance sheets, profit and loss statements and other financial reports
- Builds financial models to predict future revenue and expenses to help with financial planning
- Prepares journal entries
- Supports the accounting month-end close process
- Prepares special reports as requested by the Client Services Managers, Clients, and Finance and Accounting Team
- Assists the CFO in preparing reports for the Board of Directors
- Analyzes revenue and expenses for proper GL account coding
- Research unusual accounting items, solve puzzles, and recommends process improvements
- Assist with special projects as required.
- Other duties as may be assigned from time-to-time.
- Requires a minimum of 3 years finance and accounting experience
- Non-profit experience preferred
- Government grant accounting experience a plus
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business with an Accounting or Finance concentration is desirable
- Has knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedure within the nonprofit finance field
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and skilled in using other Microsoft applications (e.g. Word and Outlook)
- Experience with enterprise accounting software; experience with Intacct a plus
- The candidate will also have excellent oral and written communication skills and attention to detail is a must
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment and exceptional client service skills are required
- The ideal employee will be a self-starter with the skills to work independently with minimal supervision and with the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- The individual must also be positive, dedicated to nonprofit service, and comfortable with change
Working for Community Initiatives
This position will have the possibility of working remotely, part-time. This is a full-time position that includes excellent benefits and a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Comprehensive benefits package including:
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision
- 401k and 3% employer match
- Fully paid basic life insurance, LTD, STD coverage
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- 10 paid holidays
- 4 floating holidays
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity
Community Initiatives is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, disability or protected veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.