- Experience Level
NAWJ is seeking a Development Director to provide strategic direction, oversight, and execution of fund development. Our Development Director will report to the Executive Director and work collaboratively with the operations, finance, and membership teams to develop and manage a solid infrastructure for all giving. This includes the identification, cultivation, solicitation, recognition, and stewardship of prospects and donors, to secure, sustain, and expand the current NAWJ donor base. Our judicial members are prohibited by ethical canons from fundraising. This is a role for a self-starter who is creative and entrepreneurial as well as knowledgeable about current trends in non-profit fundraising and donor engagement.
- Design, develop and implement a creative growth and retention strategy of new and existing funding channels.
- Research, develop and implement sponsorships for NAWJ programs and events (annual conference, midyear meeting, webinars, and podcasts). This includes identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual donors, corporate sponsors, and public and private foundations.
- Ensure a long-term positive relationship is fostered with sponsors/donors by maintaining contact and educating them on outcomes and NAWJ efforts.
- Manage Giving Tuesday campaigns.
- Develop Planned Giving program.
- Keep abreast of developments indirect and e-fundraising trends and report on opportunities and changes.
- Work in partnership with Executive Director to develop annual fundraising goals for revenue and implement annual cultivation and stewardship plans to increase revenue from funders.
- Prepare and deliver sponsorship updates monthly.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
- Some travel may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three to five years of successful and increasingly responsible fundraising and development experience for a non-profit organization. A certificate in fund development and or non-profit management is preferred.
- History of successfully setting and meeting development and fundraising goals.
- Experience managing high-level donor relationships, with demonstrated success in closing gifts of $10,000 and above.
- Familiarity with using social media, social networking, and technology to communicate with donors and generate revenue.
- Excellent relationship-building skills with diverse stakeholders, including funders, organizational leaders, and team members at all levels of the organization.
- Current with established and emerging methods of fundraising.
- Knowledge of the business, government, and legal communities. Experience in the legal field is desired.
- Working knowledge of managing budgets and fundraising data.
- A genuine commitment to DEI in principle and in practice in all aspects of work.
- Clearly and effectively communicate in a variety of styles, settings, and methods. Strong attention to detail. Persuasive communication and presentation skills.