Youth Program Specialist: Substance Use Education and Prevention - BA & 2 years relevant experience
- Experience Level
Eden Youth and Family Center's (EYFC) Vision: Youth and families in historically under-resourced communities flourish with equitable access to comprehensive systems. EYFC's mission is to promote equitable access to coordinated services, strategic partnerships, policy, and advocacy contributing to the overall health and well-being of youth and families.
POSITION SUMMARY: To provide services that promote a proactive process to address health and wellness for individuals, families, and communities by enhancing protective factors that increase knowledge, skills, and attitudes for making healthy choices. This is a full-time position; 40 flexible hours a week to meet the needs of the community. Supervised by the Program Coordinator, Program Manager, and the Executive Director.
JOB FUNCTIONS AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
The following list of duties is intended only to describe the various types of work that may be performed, the level of technical complexity of the assignment(s) and is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties. The omission of a specific duty statement does not exclude it from the position if the work is consistent with the concept of the classification, is similar or closely related to another duty statement or a logical assignment to the classification.
Essential Job Responsibilities and Duties:
The Youth Prevention Specialist works in schools and communities to facilitate substance abuse prevention services based on the Center for Substance Abuse Prevention Strategies.
1. Prevention Education
2. Alternative Activities
3. Information Dissemination
4. Problem Identification and Referral
5. Community-Based Process
6. Environmental and Social PolicyYouth Prevention Specialist services will address the community's need for alcohol and cannabis prevention.
- Facilitate prevention education curriculum to middle and high school-aged youth in schools assigned by supervisor.
- Responsible for collection of evaluation surveys, key measures, and achieving information dissemination goals.
- Provide training to identified alcohol retailers who have underage drinking interactions.
- Assist in community outreach to expand our youth programs and build capacity for the Youth Advisory Council.
- Attend weekly Youth Advisory Council Meetings and help develop youth programming, training, and support further program development and problem-solving.
QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES)
- Experience in Public Health, community organization, program development and/or management, required.
- 2-5 years experience in facilitating public health education or public speaking.
- Experience in prior curriculum implementation is a plus.
- Prior prevention training preferred.
- Experience working with youth in school or community setting is preferred. (Substance abuse prevention specialist, social worker, teacher, youth pastor, counselor, etc.)
- Experience in multi-cultural environments is preferred
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Combination of education and experience represented by:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Health, Counseling, Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, Health or related field is required.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS / EXPECTATIONS
- Must be bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Possession of valid driver’s license in the State of California.
- Reliable vehicle during work hours.
- Fingerprinting and background check.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends on occasion.
- Ability to work with youth and families from a variety of backgrounds from underserved communities.
- EYFC expects employees to embrace its focus on the inclusion of all members, regardless of ability or socio-economic position.
- Exercise significant initiative, discretion, independent judgment, personal awareness, professionalism, integrity and demonstrate confidence and confidentiality in all areas of performance.
- Must be able to multi-task and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Must present a professional image by dressing conservatively, professionally, and appropriate for the position.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret legal documents and governmental regulations.
- Ability to plan and prioritize tasks.
- Must have the ability to make frequent decisions.
- Must interact successfully with team members to complete tasks assigned.
- Ability to lead others in completing assigned tasks with minimal direction from supervisors.
- Must manage personal time to accomplish multiple assigned tasks in cooperation with team members.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs. Some bending, stooping, stairs, and reaching required.
- Other related duties as specified by the Executive Director.
Reasonable Accommodations provided for individuals with disabilities.
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Youth Development $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Hayward
- Direct Service / Social Service Youth Development $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Hayward
- Education / Teaching Youth Development $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Hayward
- Program / Project Management Youth Development $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Hayward
- Public Policy / Administration Youth Development $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Hayward