Prevention Coordinator: Substance Use Education and Prevention - BA & 2 years relevant experience
- Experience Level
Eden Youth and Family Center's (EYFC) Vision: Youth and families in historically under-resourced communities flourish with equitable access to comprehensive systems. EYFC's mission is to promote equitable access to coordinated services, strategic partnerships, policy, and advocacy contributing to the overall health and well-being of youth and families.
POSITION SUMMARY: Work with youth to create and sustain systems and structures that discourage substance abuse, reduce its consequences, and encourage healthy behaviors in children, their families, and other adults. This is a grant-funded position.
JOB FUNCTIONS AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
The following list of duties is intended only to describe the various types of work that may be performed, the level of technical complexity of the assignment(s) and is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties. The omission of a specific duty statement does not exclude it from the position if the work is consistent with the concept of the classification, is similar or closely related to another duty statement or a logical assignment to the classification.
Essential Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work with teens to establish and expand a strong youth coalition that provides substance abuse advocacy in the Central region.
- Provide extensive public health education in the school settings on coping skills/prevention skills
- Establish both formal and informal alliances with organizations that have similar or allied goals, such as the City Council, local law enforcement, school districts, youth programs, and other CBO’s.
- Develop and run Decoy operations with the Police Departments and Sheriffs office for Alcohol and Cannabis and monitor the progress of the program.
- Building capacity and outreach in the community for programming
- Working closely with and reporting to the Program Manager.
- Administer pre-and post-program evaluation surveys.
- Meet with and enlist key local stakeholders, coalitions, and service providers to promote the goals of the Youth Advisory Council
- Participate in the development of the youth-based strategic plans, selecting goals, objectives, and targets.
- Organize, coordinate, or assist in the organization of activities.
- Responsible for completing all mandatory paperwork that complies with contract requirements for timelines guidelines.
- Serve as a role model to ensure a positive relationship in interactions with all teachers, the community, youth, peers, and support staff.
- Must be able to work evenings/weekends and maintain reliable transportation.
- Must be able to be at work on a consistent basis with regular attendance and punctuality and be willing and able to handle all the duties and responsibilities of this position on a daily basis.
- Responds appropriately and effectively to the diversity of co-workers, youth, and stakeholders.
- Takes responsibility for other assignments as they arise in the development of PPV activities.
QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES)
- Experience in Public Health, community organization, program development and/or management, required.
- 2-5 years experience in facilitating public health education or public speaking.
- Administrative & supervisory experience working with youth.
- High Proficiency required in Excel and other related computer programs.
- Must be bi-lingual in English and SpanishWrite and communicate clearly.
- Be resourceful and energetic.
- Work with minimal supervision.
- Make logical and judicious decisions and provide workable solutions to problems
- Weigh alternative decisions and reduce outcome risks.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to use collaborative approaches to build support for objectives.
- Build positive relationships within and outside the agency, and encourage/support others.
- Requires excellent facilitation skills and organizational leadership skills.
- Goal and result orientation, and ability to meet time commitments on task/job completion.
- Strong work ethic, output, and capacity for responsibility.
- Safe Spaces – Share the responsibility for ensuring EYFC is, and remains, a safe environment free of sexual, physical, or emotional abuse.
The Prevention Coordinator manages two Youth Program Specialists and two Youth Interns.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Combination of education and experience represented by:
- Bachelors Degree in Public Health, Health, Counseling, Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, Health or related field is required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Bilingual (Spanish) verbal and written.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS / EXPECTATIONS
- Possession of valid driver’s license in the State of California.
- Reliable vehicle during work hours.
- Fingerprinting and background check.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends on occasion.
- Ability to work with youth and families from a variety of backgrounds from underserved communities.
- EYFC expects employees to embrace its focus on the inclusion of all members, regardless of ability or socio-economic position.
- Exercise significant initiative, discretion, independent judgment, personal awareness, professionalism, integrity and demonstrate confidence and confidentiality in all areas of performance.
- Must be able to multi-task and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Must present a professional image by dressing conservatively, professionally, and appropriately for the position.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret legal documents and governmental regulations.
- Ability to plan and prioritize tasks.
- Must have the ability to make frequent decisions.
- Must interact successfully with team members to complete tasks assigned.
- Ability to lead others in completing assigned tasks with minimal direction from supervisors.
- Must manage personal time to accomplish multiple assigned tasks in cooperation with team members.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs. Some bending, stooping, stairs, and reaching required.
- Other related duties as specified by the Executive Director.
- Reasonable Accommodations provided for individuals with disabilities
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Youth Development $60,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Hayward
- Direct Service / Social Service Youth Development $60,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Hayward
- Education / Teaching Youth Development $60,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Hayward
- Program / Project Management Youth Development $60,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Hayward
- Public Policy / Administration Youth Development $60,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Hayward