Assistant Press Secretary
- Position Type
- Full Time
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
The Assistant Press Secretary will provide support to HRC’s communications team. Responsibilities will include providing first drafts of written materials, compiling issue-specific clips report, conducting research, maintaining media lists, and triaging incoming requests from media. This position will be based in Washington, D.C.
- Alongside the Communications Coordinator, coordinate and distribute Monday-Friday morning news tipsheet;
- Assist in coordinating press for the Human Rights Campaign;
- Create drafts of written resources, including press releases, media advisories, talking points, letters to the editor and various other communication priorities;
- Develop and maintain media lists;
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required;
- Two to four years' experience with a preference for advocacy/political communications;
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Possess exceptional writing talent as well as the communications skills necessary to elicit the right information from a variety of sources;
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure while simultaneously handling multiple projects to meet tight deadlines;
- Must be comfortable working in a high-volume environment and have the ability to closely follow the messaging of the organization on a wide variety of issues.
- Personal interest in and commitment to LGBTQ rights required.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.