- Position Type
- Full Time
Students are often at the forefront of movements to build a better future for our country. Whether or not those students make real progress depends on whether they are organized, have the skills to be effective and have a strategic plan to get things done. The Student PIRGs have been working for 50 years to amplify the power of student activism, and help students make real change, right now. By recruiting, training and working alongside student activists on campaigns that get results, our organizers are helping to build a greener and healthier future. And as the nation has struggled with the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve made sure that our crucial organizing work can happen digitally — and launched campaigns to advocate for policies that will keep people healthy and safe during the crisis. Our chapters on campuses across the country provide the training, professional support and resources students need to tackle climate change, protect public health, revitalize our democracy by helping students register and turnout to the polls, feed the hungry and more.
What you’ll do
Our organizers provide students the training and resources needed to become movement leaders by recruiting volunteers, training potential leaders to take on more responsibility and doing campaign work themselves.
Key responsibilities include:
- Inspiring and recruiting hundreds of students to take action on important issues.
- Building a coalition — Campus Organizers work with student volunteers and interns to build a diverse, invested coalition of organizations and people to boost our campaign goals.
- Training students to be effective social change leaders, using skills such as generating grassroots support and coordinating (virtual) lobby days and news conferences.
- Building a strong, sustainable, student-funded and student-run organization on campus by fundraising, building relationships with key players on campus and building our brand.
- Working alongside students to win real reforms for the public.
- Using a variety of digital tools to conduct this work virtually while in-person gathering is restricted by COVID-19.
- Running a citizen outreach office during the summer, where you’ll recruit and lead a team of canvassers to fundraise for important issues.
Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to environmental, public interest and/or student issues as well as a track record of leadership. We’re looking for goal-driven and results-oriented individuals who have excellent communication skills and enthusiasm for the work.
Pay and benefits
The target annual compensation for this position is $28,000-$35,000 in the first year. Each of the groups that partner with the Student PIRGs offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
We’re hiring organizers to work on college campuses in California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, North Carolina, Connecticut, Florida, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Maryland, Wisconsin, Michigan, Georgia, Minnesota, Texas, Virginia and Washington state. Currently all of our staff are working remotely due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
To apply, visit https://jobs.studentpirgs.org/apply.html?utm_source=Work-for-Good&utm_medium=web-ad&utm_campaign=STPspring2021&utm_term=28&utm_content=Campus-Organizer. We are hiring for positions starting in August 2021. Immediate positions are also available.
The Student PIRGs are part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Please visit https://jobs.studentpirgs.org/core-values.html?utm_source=Work-for-Good&utm_medium=web-ad&utm_campaign=STPspring2021&utm_term=28&utm_content=Campus-Organizer to learn more.
Each of the groups that partner with the Student PIRGs is an equal opportunity employer.
Each of the groups that partner with the Student PIRGs will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.