- Experience Level
The Credit Analyst is responsible for managing loan risk by gathering and analyzing credit information on current and potential borrowers; underwriting loans and determining the advisability of granting credit for diversified types of loans and preparing credit approval memorandums. This individual is responsible for the underwriting process for small business loans, commercial loans, and loan reviews as assigned per ACE’s policies and procedures.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Underwrite financing requests for small business and commercial loans utilizing ACE policies and procedure guidelines. The analysis could include but not be limited to the applicants’ background history, management skills, financial status, credit and potential collateral to determine feasibility of granting loans. Utilize the underwriting tools available to ACE for loan requests and complete the loan memorandum.
- Communicate with lenders and loan operations to obtain information for loan applications and to answer questions about the process.
- Request additional information as needed to ensure quality and complete information is presented in loan memorandum.
- Analyze financial statements, tax returns, and other financial and/or project information. This analysis includes a detailed examination of the borrower balance sheet, working capital, capital structure, trends and ratios, income statement, net worth including retained earnings, and business and global cash flow.
- Determine the most appropriate structure based on terms, purpose, collateral, etc. for new loan requests and renewals of existing loans to best benefit the borrower in accordance with ACE’s policies and procedures.
- Upon receipt and review of appraisals, environmental assessments, market analysis reports, etc., transfer necessary and complete data from the reports to the appropriate loan memorandum section(s).
- Perform quality control check of data to ensure information is correct.
- Participate in the risk management of the loan portfolio through specific responsibilities including loan reviews, trend analysis, and credit quality to identify credit issues as dictated by ACE’s policies and procedures
- Assist the Chief Credit Officer and Senior Credit Officer with management of loan portfolio as needed.
- Understand the collection culture of ACE and assist when needed and appropriate on past due and problem loans.
- Attend ACE meetings, educational and marketing events and programs, as requested by Management, including special events, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting, economics or related area of study.
- Minimum of three years directly related work experience at a bank, economic development organization or Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI).
- 3+ years in credit analysis and underwriting.
- Working knowledge of commercial banking regulations, bank products, services, policies and procedures, financial analysis, and principles of commercial and consumer credit.
- Understanding of accounting principles, financial and tax return analysis, and experience working with various types of commercial loans, including SBA and other government guaranteed loan programs.
- Requires solid analytical skills in financial statements and tax return analysis, interviewing and probing skills and the proficiency of preparing and presenting credit memorandums.
- Good communication skills both internal and external, including the ability to write clear and concise correspondence.
- Capability to manage various tasks independently and proactively and effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Proficient computer skills in using Microsoft Office Applications, CRM Systems, and other technology as needed.