- Position Type
- Full Time
Job Title: Benefits Specialist
Reports To: Chief Administrative Officer
Status: Exempt, Full-Time, Salaried
Location: Mableton Service Center
The Benefits Specialist is responsible for the administration of employee benefits in all company operations and assist Finance with the Payroll process. This position provides guidance and assistance to all employees on various employee benefit plans. This position develops, recommends, and installs approved, new or modified plans and employee benefits policies and supervises the administration of existing plans while developing cost control procedures to assure maximum coverage at the least possible cost to company and employee.
1. Administer employee benefit programs such as retirement plans; medical, dental, vision plans; life insurance plans; temporary disability programs; and wellness programs.
2. Evaluate and compare existing company benefits with those of other employers by analyzing other plans, surveys and other sources of information. Plan, develop, and/or participate in area and industry surveys. Analyze results of surveys and develop specific recommendations for review by management.
3. Install approved new plans or changes to existing plans by preparing announcement materials, plan summary documents and other media for communicating plans to employees. Conduct employee meetings and arrange for enrollment. Advise and counsel management and employees on existing benefits.
4. Assure company compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act and the Affordable Care Act. Prepare reports and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies, such as the IRS, Department of Labor, insurance commissioners, and other regulatory agencies.
- Ensure Camp hours are adjusted first of each month prior to Paycom producing their monthly ACA status reports.
- Monitor and communicate with managers part time staff approaching ACA hours per week limits where healthcare benefits would need to be offered.
- Ensure monthly ACA Series Codes are kept up to date, correcting as needed in preparation of annual filing of Form 1095-Cs.
5. Develop benefits information and statistical census data for actuaries, insurance carriers, and management.
6. Supervise maintenance of enrollment and claims records for all benefit plans.
7. Answer routine benefits questions for managers and employees and assist with problem solving. Acts as a liaison between employees and insurance carriers to resolve problems and clarify benefits.
8. Determine staff eligibility for benefits; receive and process enrollments, changes, and terminations; and coordinate communication, including new hire benefits orientation, enrollment, ongoing life event changes and COBRA administration.
9. Stay abreast of changes required by the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and implements required changes including determination of FT/PT status through data reporting and analysis.
10. Manually update Paycom monthly those employees who are eligible to begin receiving the Council’s 403(b) match.
11. Analyze/complete payroll/benefit-related reconciliations including timely, detailed and accurate monthly billing processes.
12. Communicate with managers regarding pending time-off requests prior to each payroll transmission. Perform periodic audit of paid-time-off, adjuring balances as needed so that Paycom client reports match system data.
13. On an annual basis, compile a projected balance of vacation time for each employee. Confirm employees with high balances in preparation for the data to be provided to Finance.
14. Manage leave of absence administration, including FMLA, Short Term Disability, and Long Term Disability.
15. Ensure benefit plans are administered in accordance with the various Health & Welfare and 403(B) plan Summary Plan Descriptions.
16. Maintain knowledge of all federal/state regulations, filing and compliance requirements affecting employee benefit programs (health & welfare and 403(b) plans) including but not limited to ERISA, HIPAA, FMLA, ADA, COBRA, SECTION 125, Medicare, PPACA, Social Security and DOL requirements.
17. Responsible for annual government filings of health & welfare and 403(b) plans (ACA’s1095-Cs, Form 5500s, Medicare/CMS, etc.) and other compliance and disclosure reporting, including audit work, nondiscrimination testing and required new hire/rehire and/or plan participant communications.
18. Complete and remit bi-weekly benefit invoices after each pay-period: Aflac, 403(b) contributions and loans.
19. Ensure Group Term Life is set up for those eligible for new basic life and/or updated for those experiencing a rate change.
20. As part of the ACA, compile data and import to Paycom annual healthcare costs to be reported on Wage & Tax Statements (W2s).
21. Provide overall assistance and support to HR team on benefit policies, programs, and procedures.
22. Conduct Paycom system audits.
23. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Process any new hires/rehires/transfers for assigned Camp.
2. Process all terminations (regular, camp and temporary staff), creating separation packets as needed and submitting final pay/deduction to payroll timely for each payroll processed.
3. Process rate and/or status changes communicating with payroll adjustments/retroactive pay as needed. Communicate additional pay/deduction adjustments for those on leave of absence.
4. Ensure all back deductions and/or adjustments to pay are submitted timely for each payroll processed. Provide payroll information on all 3rd Party Sick Pay payments.
5. Research GL variances related to benefits withholding for Finance team on a monthly basis.
6. Provide fiscal year end data on vacation time remaining and dollars for budgeting purposes.
7. Provide fiscal and calendar year employer costs for benefits provided to all highly compensated employees needed for Finance’s annual filing of Form 990.
8. Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in successful benefits and payroll administration.
- Maintain high level of confidentiality.
- Experience in Paycom
- Effective communication skills, oral & written.
- Meets daily, weekly, and monthly deadlines.
- Excellent computing skills with proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs.
- High sense of urgency and excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work well with all levels of management and staff, as well as outside clients and vendors.
- Must complete a criminal (and credit) background check.
Requires the physical mobility to sit or walk for moderate periods of time and to occasionally carry or lift objects weighing up to 20 pounds.