LEAD COMMUNITY ORGANIZER/CRIMINAL JUSTICE CAMPAIGN
- Experience Level
New Virginia Majority is looking to hire a full-time Lead Community Organizer who will recruit, engage, activate and retain members, develop leaders, build community-based leadership teams, conduct political education training, supervise community organizers and execute campaign strategy on our criminal justice and right to vote campaigns in Richmond, Virginia.
- Drive efforts to build strong relationships and identify and develop leaders into clear membership roles. Timely and aggressive follow up with leads generated by field efforts including one-on-one meetings, house visits and other methods of grassroots outreach. Manage regular membership meetings with a standing agenda and supporting new leaders to facilitate meetings geared towards peer engagement and immediate activation. Lead and supervise a team of 1 or more organizers. Create actions, training and mobilization opportunities in order to activate members and activists. Mobilize and track engagement of members and activists at various events and field opportunities in the database. Develop the political consciousness of the affiliate organizations’ leaders through popular education, reflection, leadership development and developing appropriate educational materials. Provide support to leaders. Participate in campaign development, strategizing and implementation. Participate in building campaign coalitions and key relationships with campaign-related allies. Willing to put in the hours to get the work done, including some nights and weekends. Perform other duties as required.
- Committed to New Virginia Majority’s mission of social, racial and economic justice.
- 2 or more years experience in community organizing and running and winning at least one or more issue campaigns.
- 1+ year experience with supervising community organizing staff. Experience organizing in/with communities of color and/or formerly incarcerated people
- Ability to develop and maintain a variety of relationships on multiple levels. .
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines.
- Self-motivated and works well both independently and on a team. Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback. Driver’s license and access to a car. A minimum one-year commitment to the position
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salaries are competitive. The salary range is $45,000 - $52,000, commensurate with experience, and comes with an excellent benefits package, including health, vision, dental, and stipends for phone and transportation.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter and resume and contact information for three references to: https://www.newvirginiamajority.org/jobs
Due to the high volume of applications, we are not able to respond to applicants whose candidacy is not being pursued. No phone calls or email, please.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
New Virginia Majority (NVM), Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization, builds power in working-class communities of color across the Commonwealth. We organize in communities year-round for racial, economic, and environmental justice through political education, mass-scale voter outreach, mobilization, and intensive leadership development around dozens of issues. We fight for a Virginia that is just, democratic and environmentally sustainable. We are an equal opportunity employer.