- Experience Level
Heluna Health invites applications for a full-time Research Associate to work in the San Francisco Disease Prevention and Control Branch, Population Health Division as part of the SF City Clinic (SFCC) Research Team. The SFCC research program is focused on investigating treatments, diagnostic tests, and prevention tools for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and HIV.
Under supervision of the Research Coordinator, the Research Associate will enroll participants and conduct study follow-up visits for a randomized controlled trial assessing the safety and efficacy of doxycycline post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) for the prevention of sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
With support and guidance from the Research Coordinator and the Principal Investigator, the Research Associate will be responsible for the day-to-day conduct of the studies; including recruitment, informed consent, carrying out study procedures per protocol, retention, documentation on electronic and paper case report forms and quality control.
In addition, the Research Associate will support the SFCC HIV Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) team at SFCC. In this role, the RA will assist with PrEP follow-up visits, counseling and benefits navigation.
This is a temporary, grant-funded, full time, benefited position. Employment is provided by Heluna Health.
Pay rate is starting at $24.04/hr and commensurate with experience
- Consenting and enrolling new study participants.
- Establishing and organizing study files, including regulatory binders, study-specific source documentation and other materials.
- Maintaining excellent data collection practices and quality of data.
- Performing weekly quality control of all study documents.
- Assisting clinic staff in collection, storage, and shipment of specimens.
- Handle and protect confidential and sensitive data with integrity.
- Conduct retention and follow-up activities such as making telephone calls and sending letters to participants.
- Maintaining effective and ongoing communication with research participants, the Research Coordinator and the Principal Investigator.
- Updating any necessary regulatory documentation.
- Meeting weekly with study coordinator to review activity and discuss study-related issues.
- Provides basic STD and HIV information to clients; performs HIV and HCV risk assessments, disclosure and risk reduction counseling; and refers patients to appropriate medical and social services;
- Conducts PrEP follow-up visits for patients without symptoms
- Provides PrEP/PEP education and counseling
- Provides negative HIV rapid test results to patients
- Assists with enrollment into patient assistance programs, responds to prior authorization requests and performs benefits navigation
- Adheres closely to clinic’s clinical, privacy, and occupational safety/PPE protocols.
- Assisting in writing and maintaining study protocols and operational manuals
- Participating in weekly Clinician and Epidemiology team meetings
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Possession of a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- One year of experience working on clinical research studies
- Background knowledge of STI pathogenesis, transmission, and treatment; knowledge of STI and HIV and medical terminology preferred but not required
- Background knowledge of biomedical HIV prevention, including Pre- and Post-exposure prophylaxis
- Experience with culturally, economically and racially diverse populations
Other Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Ability to operate a computer and proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite software including Microsoft Word and EXCEL
- Comfortable discussing sexual behavior and HIV transmission risks
- Attention to detail; strong interpersonal skills; excellent, effective verbal and written communication skills to coordinate with subjects, team members, other departments and outside institutions; and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment while working with a diverse subject population
- Proven ability to collaborate with people of different professional levels
- Bilingual Spanish/English is highly desirable
Handling / Fingering Frequently
Reach Outward Frequently
Reach Above Shoulder Occasionally
Climb, Crawl, Kneel, Bend Occasionally
Lift / Carry Occasionally - Up to 25 lbs
Push/Pull Occasionally - Up to 25 lbs
Taste/ Smell Not Applicable
Not Applicable Not required for essential functions
Occasionally (0 - 2 hrs/day)
Frequently (2 - 5 hrs/day)
Constantly (5+ hrs/day)
General Office Setting, Indoors Temperature Controlled
Interested individuals must submit a resume and cover letter for consideration. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Heluna Health is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages minorities, women, veterans, and disabled to apply.
All qualified applicants will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance
Please apply at the following URL: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/PUB1001PUBH/JobBoard/6705aa07-0bcb-4660-ad1b-2fda952becc7/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=13ecb39f-e708-47e5-b020-f8a830562408
It is the policy of Heluna Health to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.