- Experience Level
Reports to Director of Development
Young Audiences New York (YANY) seeks an organized, energetic, results-oriented Development
Manager to provide support with grant writing, donor cultivation, special events and
communications. The Development Manager will support the organization in fulfilling its annual
fundraising plan by maintaining the donor database, overseeing the donor acknowledgement
process, assisting with special events, maintaining the institutional funder prospect list and
deadline calendar, writing grant proposals and reports, and maintaining YANY’s social media
presence. This is an ideal position for a motivated Development professional who is looking to
join a growing organization in a period of great possibility. This is a full-time position and reports
to the Director of Development.
About Young Audiences New York
YANY’s mission is to use art, in all its forms, as a catalyst for exploring creativity and advancing
equity among youth, families, and communities in New York City. For 70 years, YANY has provided
arts education to children and youth from under-resourced schools and neighborhoods so they
can experience and create art. Our arts residencies help children explore the full scope of arts
disciplines, from playing the ukulele to learning classical Indian dance, from making pottery to
creating collage, from exploring film to acting through improv, from designing fashion to
illustrating comic books.
Most of all, YANY empowers children to express who they are and explore who they can become.
Our caring staff and trained Teaching Artists help young people develop social-emotional skills.
YANY students say it best; as one YANY student shared, “[the YANY dance residency] taught me
about art and passion. It allowed me to express myself and what I go through. It taught me that
I am a dancer.”
A positive organizational culture is important to YANY’s team of nine dedicated administrative
staff and 50 part-time professional Teaching Artists and program staff. YANY employees often
say YANY “feels like family”. We support each other, pitch in to help, work to incorporate racial
and social justice at all levels of the organization, and love team building.
The health and safety of staff and students is YANY’s priority. YANY quickly pivoted to virtual arts
residencies and remote work in spring 2020 and staff continue to work remotely. YANY has an
annual operating budget of approximately $2 million and projects a balanced budget for FY21.
● Conduct prospect research to identify new funding opportunities.
● Maintain organizational deadline calendar and ensure all deadlines are met.
● Draft proposals and reports and collaborate with program staff and Director of Development to
compile compelling, comprehensive requests for funding.
● Collect all necessary attachments for foundation and government grant submissions and
● Attend funder meetings and serve as representative of YANY when appropriate.
● Assist the Director of Development in administrative and logistical tasks that support
● Record and track donor data in Salesforce (i.e., demographics, gift history, campaigns,
communication efforts) and generate reports to assist with ongoing analysis and identification
of fundraising opportunities.
● Produce timely acknowledgements to donors and funders; maintain accurate donor records
and mailing lists.
● Collect and maintain accurate program data from Residency Managers and Community School
● Manage Constant Contact email communication system, including drafting and sending regular
communications to YANY’s lists.
● Coordinate mailings including gathering content and photographs, running mail merges and
coordinating with printers.
● Manage YANY’s social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Tik Tok, Instagram and
LinkedIn including generating content and increasing engagement.
● Maintain accurate and engaging content on website.
● Support planning of corporate volunteer events and attend when needed.
● Liaise with website, Salesforce and other tech vendors to ensure all systems are operational
and supporting revenue generation and troubleshoot issues as they arise.
● Liaise with Special Events consultant to support the Annual Benefit.
● Contribute to other events throughout the year by maintaining guest lists and supporting
● Support Board members and Director of Development as needed.
● BA required; 2-3 years of work experience in Development preferred.
● Interest in a career in nonprofit management or fundraising.
● Commitment to YANY’s mission, social and racial justice, and the population served.
● Strong analytical, verbal, written, organizational and communication skills.
● Comfort with public speaking.
● Keen attention to detail, and a quick learner.
● Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite
● Ability to think and work quickly and efficiently and communicate effectively with team
● Experience with Salesforce or other data management software preferred.
● Strong ethics and discretion with sensitive material.
● Willingness to be flexible, open-minded, and be a highly engaged team player. A sense of
humor is welcome.
The salary is $60-65k and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. Ideal
start date is August. Employee will work remotely until further notice.
YANY is an equal opportunity employer. We value and welcome diversity in the workplace and
strongly encourage all qualified persons to apply. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or
expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status, or any
other classification protected by applicable state, federal or local laws.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com, indicating the job title in the subject