Chief Development Officer
- Degree Level
Chief Development Officer
MedShare is a 501c(3) humanitarian aid organization dedicated to improving the quality of life of people, communities and our planet by sourcing and directly delivering surplus medical supplies and equipment to communities in need around the world.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief Development Officer (CDO) serves as a key senior leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting the organization. In partnership with the CEO, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build MedShare’s visibility, impact and financial resources. The CDO also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating, soliciting and stewarding philanthropic support from individuals, corporations, organizations and foundations.
The CDO will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow our budget through major gifts, grants, special events, corporate and foundation support. S/he will expand and diversify the organization’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives.
In addition, the CDO will work closely with the Board of Trustees and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer & President
Supervises: Development Manager and Donor Care Associates
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
The CDO reports to the CEO and serves as a member of the senior leadership team. This position participates with the Board of Trustees, CEO and senior management staff in charting the direction of the organization, assuring its accountability to all constituencies and ensuring its effective operation.
Within the organization, the position has primary working relationships with the CEO and senior leadership team. The CDO directly supervises the activities of the Development team.
- Support and partner with the CEO and board members on all major fundraising initiatives
- Collaborate with the CEO, CFO and Development Committee to develop and implement organization’s financial strategy
- Actively work with the CEO, Development Staff and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, state agency grants, etc.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals
- Oversee and research funding sources and trends, with foresight to help position the organization ahead of major funding changes of trends.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors.
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program.
- Train, develop, lead and mentor the development team.
- 10+ years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long term relationships.
- Strong organizational, leadership and mentoring skills.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also as a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside the organization
- Knowledge of donor database management – preferably detailed knowledge of Raiser’s Edge software.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred. CFRE designation a plus.
- High energy and passion for MedShare’s mission is essential.
- Ability to construct, articulate and implement an annual strategic development plan
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Customer focus; donor centric vision
- A professional and resourceful style; takes initiative and is able to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
MedShare offers a competitive benefits package for all fulltime employees.
To apply: To submit an application for this position, please visit www.ourfundraisingsearch.com and submit your resume and cover letter. No phone calls or visits, please. If you have application questions, please email them to email@example.com.
For more information about MedShare, please visit our website at www.medshare.org
MedShare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.