- Experience Level
Join SELC’s professional, fast-paced development office and be right in the thick of everything. The Development Associate position is a central hub whose purpose is to provide all-around support for SELC’s development team. This is a great opportunity to learn a lot while putting your energy and talents to work protecting the South’s environment and health at a critical time.
This is a full-time position based in SELC’s Charlottesville headquarters office. The position is supervised by the Director of Advancement, but provides direct assistance to all members of the Development leadership team (Director of Advancement, Director of Development, Operations, and Director of Development, Philanthropy). With supervisor’s guidance about overall priorities and goals, the Development Associate will work closely with other fundraising colleagues, and take project assignments and instruction from them, as well.
The Development Associate will provide assistance to the development office as a whole, including, but not limited to:
- Assistant for the Director of Advancement: provides travel planning and “lifeline” support; schedules meetings and handles related preparation and clean-up; and assists with filing and organization of materials
- Periodic assistance to the Executive Director as needed
- Coordinating development hiring, including advertising and scheduling
- Arranging Development budget preparation, tracking, and reconciliation
- Processing invoices for events, travel, and other development related expenses
- Managing Outlook calendars and scheduling Zoom, conference call, and in-person meetings (including related preparation, cleanup, and follow-up)
- Arranging travel (flights, hotels, and rental vehicles)
- Acting as point of contact for consultants and trainers including renting spaces, coordinating schedules and meals, and other logistics
- Ensuring Development suites remain organized and running efficiently, through physical plant and office management and maintenance: maintaining third floor kitchen, bathroom, and office supply inventories; coordinating office equipment; and other duties as needed
- Running errands and other legwork and logistics
The Development Associate works closely with the Information Systems team:
- Writing personal thank you notes to donors
- Assisting with large in-house mailings
- Assisting with list harvesting
- Assisting with tax acknowledgment mailings as needed, but primarily during year-end
- Providing backup address update assistance
In addition, the Development Associate provides assistance with special events:
- Providing backup assistance for RSVP tracking and preparation and shipment of materials in advance of meetings
- Traveling throughout our six states in order to provide assistance at events
- Assisting with execution of board meetings as needed
- A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; you engage in ongoing personal learning and are eager to contribute to our organizational efforts to be a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
- Minimum two years relevant experience
- Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite and overall comfort learning new technologies
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
- Strong people skills and a high level of comfort with direct interactions, both in person and by phone
- A collaborative attitude and comfort level with back-and-forth interaction and feedback to produce top-quality results
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Organization and time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects, keep track of short- and long-term priorities, and meet deadlines dependably.