Corporate Climate Campaigner
- Willingness to Travel
- up to 25%
Pacific Environment seeks to protect communities and wildlife of the Pacific Rim. We support community leaders to fight climate change, protect the oceans, build just societies, and move away from fossil fuels toward a green economy. Learn more at www.pacificenvironment.org.
Pacific Environment is campaigning to end fossil fuel use, including to get ships off fossil fuels. Our strategies include creating strong regulatory frameworks to achieve zero-emission shipping on a timeline commensurate with the climate emergency, pressuring corporate customers to demand zero-emission ships, and influencing ports on the Pacific West Coast and beyond to end fossil fuel build out and ready themselves for zero-emission shipping instead.
The Corporate Climate Campaigner will lead Pacific Environment’s campaign to influence major shipping companies and giant retail companies to rapidly transition ships off fossil fuels. The Campaigner will advance strategies to shine a spotlight on the harms of current fossil-fueled global trade, using tactics such as earned media and other communications, reports, direct actions, direct negotiations with companies, technical analyses, and shareholder advocacy. They will seek commitments from major companies to insist on zero-emission maritime supply chains, hold companies accountable to commitments, and publicly shame laggard companies.
The ideal candidate will have a record of leadership in winning corporate pressure campaigns, a passion for moving society beyond fossil fuels, experience in large coalition efforts, and a commitment to climate justice and equity.
The Corporate Climate Campaigner will report to Pacific Environment’s Climate Campaign Director.
Location and Travel
Strong preference for an employee based in San Francisco, but we will consider strongly qualified candidates based elsewhere on the West Coast. The position will involve some domestic and international travel (only when safe and allowable regarding Covid-19 conditions).
- Relevant experience in successful corporate engagement, campaigning, and advocacy
- A record of accomplishment of achievement in winning corporate campaigns or other types of campaigns
- Experience and expertise in energy/climate issues and policies
- Demonstrated success as an effective team player and collaborator in coalition efforts
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Skill and comfort in building relationships with diverse audiences, including with companies, coalition partners, community leaders, and members of the media
- Experience in community organizing a strong plus
- Experience in rigorous pollution analysis a plus
- Commitment to helping communities have a strong voice in decision-making
Compensation and Benefits
Pacific Environment provides compensation commensurate with experience and equitable with others on our team, plus a full benefits package for staff positions. The salary range for this position is $64,000-$77,000, which is carefully considered to account for equity. The employee will enjoy a flexible working environment with a dedicated, diverse group of colleagues.
Send cover letter, resume, three references, and an answer to the following question by email to email@example.com with “Corporate Climate Campaigner” in the subject line.
- QUESTION: In 250 words, explain the tactics you believe will be most effective in moving giant American retail companies to zero-emission shipping.
Applications encouraged by June 15, 2021. The position will remain open until filled, and we encourage even late applications.
Pacific Environment is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and believe that creating teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to the change we seek. We encourage people from communities harmed by environmental degradation and from backgrounds underrepresented in the environmental movement to apply.
No phone calls, please.