Director - Office of Health Equity
6 days left
- Position Type
- Full Time
The Department of Health Services strives to protect and promote the health and safety of all people of Wisconsin through the efforts of a dedicated and diverse workforce. DHS works to ensure access to individuals, families, and communities to achieve positive health outcomes in the areas of abuse prevention, mental health, public health, family care, long-term care, and much more.
The newly established Office of Health Equity (OHE) is seeking to fill a Director position. This is a great opportunity for a leader in diversity, equity, and inclusion to shape the future of this work at DHS both within the workforce culture and for the externally-facing work of the agency. This position will be headquartered in either Milwaukee or Madison, depending upon the preference of the selected candidate.
The Office will promote a culture of inclusion at DHS where employees from all racial and ethnic identities, ages, nationalities, social and economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, religious, political and ideological perspectives, and physical and mental abilities are able to thrive and be engaged.
The Office will work to improve health equity by reducing health disparities and addressing the social determinants of health for all Wisconsinites ensuring everyone can thrive and live their healthiest life. The mission of the OHE is to protect and promote the health and safety of all Wisconsinites, by committing to identify, dismantle, and improve institutional structures that inflict and ignore racism, discrimination, and trauma among marginalized communities and center our work around our core values. These institutional structures include policy and practical barriers to accessing things like education, employment, housing, healthcare and other social services.
We strive to hire, develop and retain a talented workforce representative of the people of Wisconsin we serve. We are searching for people with diverse backgrounds to join our dynamic and team-oriented environment. As an employee of the state of Wisconsin, you'll also have access to an amazing benefits package, including paid time off, low-cost insurance options, and participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System, which is considered among the best in the country!
Interviews will be conducted virtually.
The Director serves as the department’s principal policy and program officer for equity and inclusion and workforce planning programs. The position will lead DHS efforts in addressing issues related to health equity while building and supporting a workforce and organizational culture that is diverse, inclusive and values the various backgrounds, cultures and life experiences that are reflected in the communities DHS serves.
The position provides leadership for developing and implementing the Department’s strategic vision for equity, diversity and inclusion—both within DHS’ culture and practices and for the externally-facing work of the agency. In this role, the Director will supervise a team that conducts research, policy analysis and provides guidance to the Office of the Secretary on executive orders, requirements, and efforts related to equity and inclusion impacting the agency, including partnering with human resources in supporting recruitment and hiring efforts. Primary responsibilities include: strategic leadership, education, communication, outreach, advice, reporting, and guidance on equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts throughout the department for both internal and external facing work.
This position amplifies the work of the department to promote and foster equity in Wisconsin. This position is responsible for formulating, determining and implementing policy and budget initiatives that focus on improving health equity while reducing health disparities and addressing the social determinants of health for all Wisconsinites.
Minimally qualified applicants will have all of the following:
- Experience developing and implementing policies related to social determinants of health, health equity or equity, diversity and inclusion. This includes but is not limited to community or policy work in housing, employment, education, healthcare and empowerment.
- Work experience or lived experience with community engagement or outreach activities related to cultural humility, social determinants of health, health equity or equity, diversity and inclusion. Examples of activities may include facilitating meetings with community or workforce members or providing community or workforce education or consultation.
- Experience implementing strategic planning initiatives, including tasks such as analysis of complex issues, change management, developing quality improvement strategies and ensuring alignment of work plan to work product.
- Experience serving in a leadership role on a team or project, including tasks such as training, mentoring, assigning and reviewing work, etc.
Well-qualified applicants will also have one or more of the following:
- Experience serving in a formal supervisory role, including tasks such as prioritizing and delegating work assignments, managing staff performance, creating a cohesive team, making hiring and termination decisions, etc.
- Experience working in an organization or with programs that have a large scope, such as regional, statewide, or nationwide.
- Experience working in a public or non-profit organization such as local, state, or federal government.
- Experience setting a vision, organizing a team to execute on that vision, and holding people accountable for success, such as establishing a new office, business, etc.
Please apply directly on our website Wisc.Jobs.