Join our Board of Directors, help build a more empowered community!
6 days left
- Experience Level
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Raising BeYOUtiful Butterflies ("RBB") mission is to educate and empower girls ages 4-21 by inspiring them to recognize and embrace their own potential to be confident, self-sufficient, unique, determined, and powerful in their lives as well as in their communities, while encouraging sisterhood. We are committed to inspiring and challenging girls to pursue academic excellence, leadership, and personal growth and development, while defining a vision for how they will make positive contributions to their future endeavors and communities. The Board of Directors support the work of RBB and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by RBB’s Chief Executive Officer ("CEO"), the Board-CEO relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Establish policies for administering the program and services that are in harmony with the purpose of the organization. Employ, assist, evaluate and support the CEO. Secure funds required for current expenses by mobilizing and assisting in fundraising and funding efforts. Ensure that the financial affairs of the organization are conducted on a responsible basis in accordance with established policies. Ensure that assets and facilities of the organization are maintained and safeguarded.
- Attendance at Board meetings: attend regularly, and participate.
- Become well informed on all agenda items prior to scheduled meetings.
- Contribute knowledge, express points of view based on experience and take initiative.
- Consider other points of view, make constructive suggestions and help the Board make group decisions reflecting the thinking of the total group.
- Regular attendance at selected committee meetings, as well as board trainings and seminars.
- RBB Board Members will consider RBB a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that RBB can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, RBB expects to have 100% of Board Members make an annual contribution of $1,000 (give or raise).
- Assume leadership in organization agency funding efforts, when possible.
- Assume board leadership responsibilities as requested and when possible (such as committee chairperson, elected officer, etc.).
- Represent the organization at community events, organizations, and with private individuals.
- Be informed about the organizations programs, policies and services, as well as the needs of the community, society, and constituents.
TERM OF OFFICE: This position is for a term of three (3) years. RBB’s Board Members must continue to meet attendance, monetary, and participation requirements. The time commitment for individual Board duties is estimated at 1-5 hours a month, depending on the time of year. Board meetings will be held quarterly; the frequency of committee meetings will vary. Service on RBB’s Board is without remuneration, except for reimbursement for administrative support costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
QUALIFICATIONS: This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about RBB’s mission and who has a track record of Board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members. Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. A commitment to and understanding of RBB’s beneficiaries, preferably based on education and/or experience. Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals. Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of RBB’s beneficiaries.
- Business Development & Fundraising
- Grant Writing & Research Knowledge
- Community Engagement
- Resource Development/Management
Description: In our work with girls, RBB aim is nothing less than empowerment. RBB defines an empowered girl as someone who knows her strengths and capabilities, isn’t afraid to embrace them, an active learner in school, a confident actor in her family and community, and ready to take on her biggest dreams. She believes in herself, knows her possibilities are endless, and lives in a community where she is treated equally, where parents, peers, and role models supports her growth and her goals. Our programs are designed to not only provide girls with life and social skills, but a chance to learn valuable knowledge, develop strategies for overcoming challenges, to know their strengths and weaknesses, a factor that empowers them to break out of their comfort zone, learn the confidence to ask for help and improve their performance and maximize their potential, a combination that enables them to become the person that they wish to be. Our program’s focus areas include:
- Life & Social Skills Training
- Etiquette Training
- Academic Success and Career Development
- Business & Leadership Development
- Body Image
- Esteem & Confidence
- Bully Prevention & Friendship
The focus of our programs is to identify and address the issues girls face during their formative years by not only empowering them but ensuring that each girl has greater self-esteem, confidence, the ability to excel academically, and engage with their peers and in their communities. We believe that we will be influential in reversing the statistics that apply to our girls, uplifting one butterfly at a time.
This is an excellent volunteer opportunity for anyone interested in contributing to a cause while developing leadership skills, gaining board member experience, and building relationships.