5 days left
- Position Type
- Full Time
ABOUT TEEN SUCCESS, INC.
Teen Success, Inc. empowers young women who become mothers in their teens to rise above the challenges facing them and achieve their full potential in school and as parents, so their children also thrive. We believe that education is a key factor in breaking the cycle of poverty faced by young families and that with the right support, young women who become mothers in their teens can attain success in school and in life, for themselves and for their children.
Teen motherhood is an intergenerational issue. A child of a teen mother is much more likely to be a teen parent – 70% of Teen Success, Inc. members are children of teen mothers. And teen parenthood disproportionately impacts young women of color – 94% of Teen Success participants are women of color. Alarmingly, 62% of teen mothers do not complete high school which perpetuates this cycle of intergenerational teen parenthood and poverty. In addition, 18% of teen mothers have a second child as a teen, which can further hamper their ability to finish school. High school dropouts face extremely bleak economic and social prospects. These adverse outcomes also significantly impact their children. With our support, the young women we serve are changing this, with 92% completing high school or its equivalent and only 8% having a second child as a teen.
The mission of Teen Success, Inc. is to help underserved teen mothers and their children become educated, self-sufficient, valued members of society. As part of our intensive, research-based approach, the young women we serve participate in 18 months of one-on-one coaching and peer group learning. They focus on their educational path, develop life skills, deepen their knowledge of reproductive health, and grow their parenting skills, with a focus on early literacy for their children. By recognizing the resourcefulness and resilience of young women who become mothers in their teens, we will open the door for more young mothers and their children to achieve their full potential.
Teen Success, Inc. currently operates programs in the following regions of California: San Francisco Bay Area, Central Coast and Central Valley. Teen Success, Inc. is headquartered in Milpitas, California.
The Advocates are the heart and soul of the Teen Success, Inc. program and are the vehicles of transformation for the young mothers we serve. The Advocates are responsible for all recruitment and engagement; coaching program participants to help them graduate high school and complete post-secondary education, develop parenting skills, and learn to thrive; and planning and implementation of the peer learning group where participants develop positive peer relationships, build confidence, and learn life and parenting skills.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for working with opportunity youth and facilitating their educational success; an interest and curiosity in using data for learning and improvement; the ability to interact comfortably, respectfully and skillfully with Teen Success, Inc. staff, community partners, program members and program member’s family/partner; and a high level of professionalism and emotional maturity.
- Build community relationships for program promotion, referral sources, and resources
- Provide continual outreach and support to participants to maintain full engagement in the Teen Success, Inc. program
- Conduct weekly one-on-one coaching sessions with all Teen Success, Inc. participants in caseload. Assist participants in re-enrolling in high school, engaging in school and exploring post-secondary education
- Assess participants' needs, develop appropriate action plans based on needs, and coordinate timely referrals for service and follow through as appropriate. Advocate appropriately for participants when barriers exist
- Facilitate, manage and implement weekly peer learning sessions in accordance with the Teen Success Inc. program model and objectives. Foster a peer-learning environment with trusting relationships and a culture of success
- Complete weekly operational tasks, such as purchasing of snack and supplies for peer-learning sessions and orientations, managing participant incentives, entering data into the Teen Success, Inc. database, coordinating child watch staff and submitting receipts and documents in a timely manner
- Work collaboratively with fellow Advocates, Program Manager, and Teen Success, Inc. staff and partners to ensure maximum impact for young mothers and their children
- Passionate about working directly with youth and high-risk populations, and in empowering young women to reach their potential
- Understanding of and comfort with positive youth development approaches, sexual and reproductive health, and trauma informed practice
- Strong public speaking, group facilitation and client engagement skills
- Organized, detail-oriented, proactive, and flexible
- Positive attitude, team player, energizes others, and has a sense of humor
- Interest and curiosity in improving performance to increase impact
- Two to three years related work experience in relevant field
- Must have a valid California driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and liability insurance
To apply, please send a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the job title Sacramento Advocate in your subject line. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible; applications will be reviewed as they are received.
For more information about Teen Success, Inc. please visit our website: www.teensuccess.org.
For details on our competitive benefits package please visit www.teensuccess.org/careers.
Teen Success, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.