Director of Development
- Experience Level
National Foster Youth Institute
Founded by Congressmember Karen Bass in 2012, NFYI is dedicated to ensuring that current and former foster youth have a seat at the table alongside legislators, policymakers, decision makers, families, and advocates. We believe that truly transformative foster care reform is possible only when individuals who have personally experienced the child welfare system have leadership roles in changing it. NFYI creates pipelines of leadership that connect current and former foster youth with decision makers to change the systems that impact them. We do that by building relationships with members of congress, training and empowering foster youth and families to make their voices heard, and by organizing grassroots support for child welfare reform.
We are at a pivotal moment in our organization’s history as we build on past successes and extend our reach. NFYI seeks an energetic Director of Development to join our leadership team and create systems that will help the organization to achieve even greater impact for foster youth and their families.
Position Description Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development will be responsible for developing and executing plans to raise $1.5 million in the first year. This is an opportunity for a creative self-starter to take a leadership role in support of NFYI’s mission. Areas of responsibility include grant writing, special events, individual giving, corporate and foundation giving, and relationship building across all aspects of NFYI’s work. This is a high-profile position that requires a candidate who is both a doer and a builder.
- Work with NFYI’s Executive Director and Board of Directors to design, implement and refine a comprehensive fundraising strategy to raise $1.5 million in the first year.
- Create a development strategy for foundation outreach, build relationships, draft and submit grants.
- Collaborate with NFYI board and volunteers in creating special events that support NFYI’s mission, including an annual gala and a series of smaller online and in-person events designed to increase donor engagement and raise additional funds.
- Maintain and increase NFYI’s corporate relationships, including support for Congressional Shadow Day and other opportunities.
- Initiate contact with potential donors, develop cultivation strategies, and make personal solicitations when appropriate.
- Partner with Director of Marketing/Communications to develop and implement an annual giving program strategy, including print and digital solicitations and social media tactics to grow donor base.
- Ensure best practices in data management/research and oversee accurate and timely reporting.
- Participate as a member of the leadership team and represent NFYI in the community.
Essential Skills, Experience and Values:
- Individual with three to five years of fundraising experience and a track record of having met or exceeded fundraising goals. Does not need to have led a department previously but must be able to quantify impact.
- Highly motivated self-starter with impeccable writing skills who knows how to implement and how to deliver.
- Knowledge of fundraising best practices and familiarity with data management systems/reporting with a corresponding ability to pay attention to detail and engage in big picture thinking.
- Excellent communicator with the cultural humility to work with both a high-profile board and current/former foster youth.
- Strong alignment with NFYI’s mission and a passion for, or experience with, child welfare.
This is an opportunity for a visionary self-starter to have a real impact and, with continued success, to build their own department. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter with a detailed description of your development experience, an overview of your approach to fundraising, and the largest gift you personally solicited to: email@example.com with Director of Development in the subject line.