- Position Type
- Full Time
Position Summary: Manage the medical side of Almost There Rescue by scheduling appointments, monitoring the health of our dogs, determining when dogs need medical attention, being the point of contact for veterinary partners, and distributing medications and vaccinations as needed. Medical Coordinator will assist with the intake of new dogs, communicate with fosters about any health concerns, and treat common illness on site when appropriate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Schedule veterinary appointments.
- Schedule spay/neuter appointments.
- Keep record of and oversee medical status of each animal.
- Keep open lines of communication with staff regarding the health of each animal.
- Input medical information and dates into shelter database.
- Handle the intake of new dogs according to ATR protocol.
- Vaccinate, deworm, and microchip all dogs and puppies when needed.
- Maintain vaccination schedule for all ATR dogs.
- Check on dogs in person when there is a medical concern.
- Diagnose and treat common illnesses and distribute medication on-site when appropriate.
- Determine when an animal should be seen by a veterinarian.
- Act as point of contact with veterinary partners.
- Actively research new veterinary partnerships to save the most money while providing the best care for the dogs.
- Act as point of contact for any medical concerns regarding dogs in the care of Almost There Rescue.
- Act as the point of contact for foster families for medical emergencies with their foster outside of normal business hours to determine a course of action.
- Keep inventory of medical supplies and order more as needed.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Experience in the dog medical field required.
- Animal shelter experience preferred.
- Must have general knowledge of common shelter illness.
- Must have constant access to phone and email for communicating, scheduling or approving emergency appointments for fosters outside of normal business hours.