Animal Care Specialist
POSITION SUMMARY: A clean home is a happy home! Keep our pups and people happy by tending to the mutternity suites, play areas, and public spaces, making sure to keep every space squeaky clean and sanitized! Keep an eye on our pups to ensure everyone is looking happy & healthy, enter notes and information into our online database, keep our various rooms properly stocked, feed and water the pups, mop the floors, and do laundry. This job is not for the faint of heart: you will see and clean a lot of poop- all different kinds- all day. You will also see a lot of happy wagging tails and receive tons of puppy kisses, which make it all worthwhile!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Clean and sanitize entire facility (both public and private spaces) and animal habitats according to outlined procedures in a timely manner, including emptying garbage, washing and sanitizing floors, bowls, blankets, and towels in all locations.
- Clean dog kennels. Have complete knowledge of all cleaning and animal care procedures.
- Handle all animals humanely and safely using safety equipment if necessary.
- Feed, water and observe animals brought into Almost There Rescue for signs of illness and behavior pattern changes.
- Be able to recognize signs of illness or behavior changes and enter correct information into the computer.
- Knowledge of cleaning chemicals, proper handling of cleaning chemicals, and safety procedures while using and handling cleaning chemicals.
- Interact with internal and external customers while maintaining a friendly and helpful demeanor.
- Restock supplies in all areas as outlined.
- Assist in training of new staff members.
- Move animals as required and change kennel location in the computer.
- Clean laundry, fold, and neatly stack on shelves.
- Feed all animals as required. Note any exceptions placed for that kennel. Provide clean/fresh water daily. Check all animal water containers periodically.
- Transport dogs in Almost There Rescue vehicle when transportation volunteers are not available.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Previous dog handling experience is preferred but not required.
- Applicants must have reliable transportation and the ability to perform in an ever changing, hectic environment.
- This position requires frequent physical demands and movement such as standing, walking, reaching, crouching, kneeling, and the ability to carry supplies and animals weighing over 70lbs.
- Almost There Rescue employees are exposed to potentially dangerous, fast-moving animals. There will be exposure to dust, heat, cold, wet floors, animal noises, animal odors, and animal dander.