Advancement Officer Donor Content and Design
- Experience Level
The CDC Foundation’s Advancement Officer, Donor Content and Design is an integral part of the Advancement team, with a focus on content development for donor-specific communications that educate, engage, cultivate and inspire philanthropic support for and engagement with the CDC Foundation. This position will serve as content creator for our digital and direct mail annual giving programming, feeding our professional agencies and staff compelling stories and images to steward, show impact and renew and acquire donors to support our mission to save and improve lives. The Advancement Officer, Donor Content and Design will manage a portfolio of projects, including drafting annual giving email, social media and direct mail content, one-pagers, stewardship pieces, donor presentations and event collateral. The position will mine program staff, websites and other resources for compelling stories about our critical public health work in order to produce creative solicitations and stewardship materials to make a strong case for the CDC Foundation and our programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop, write and edit donor-centered content for fundraising and cultivation email appeals, social media and direct mail, selected stewardship materials, case statements, one pagers, selected website pages and other materials highlighting our work.
• Serve as project lead on assigned communications, including overseeing the timely production and delivery of creative materials.
• Design graphics and templates for smaller creative needs (e.g. one-pagers, stewardship pieces, PowerPoint presentations).
• Draft planned giving stewardship and solicitation appeals for digital campaigns and other materials.
• Work closely and collaboratively with members of the Communications team to ensure alignment with the Foundation’s brand and overall communications and marketing strategy, as well as scheduling through a shared calendar.
• Coordinates with our professional email and direct mail agencies to provide content and images for all annual giving appeals to steward, show impact and renew and acquire donors.
• The position will work with fundraisers from the Emergency Response, Public and Private Partnership and the Major Gifts and Individual Support teams to understand donor needs, and also mine program staff and other resources for compelling stories about our work in order to produce creative solicitation and stewardship materials.
• Become familiar with and maintain a thorough working knowledge of the Foundation’s and CDC’s programs and activities.
• Participate in staff activities, projects and assignments and assume other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related field and a professional with a minimum of four years nonprofit experience, preferably in donor communications or related role.
• Minimum of 3+ years of communications experience writing fundraising and cultivation content.
• Exceptional written, editing, proofreading, verbal and interpersonal skills, including strong storytelling and creative writing expertise.
• Experience with digital and direct mail fundraising strategies and content development, writing and editing donor solicitations, reports and fact sheets for print and/or web, or similar materials for diverse audiences.
• Familiarity with communication technologies and best practices, including a broad understanding of traditional and emerging communication tools.
• Experience using design software, including Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.).
• Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite and experience using constituent relationship management systems (preferably Salesforce) and other finance systems.
• Expertise leading, managing and implementing projects by setting timelines, assigning roles, coordinating with stakeholders and meeting deadlines.
• Flexible attitude with a proven ability to handle changing business needs, multiple priorities and responsiveness to deadlines with attention to detail.
• Accountability for meeting goals, objectives and deadlines with a proactive attitude and approach to work.
• Demonstrated success driving cross-functional teams toward completion of a project or common goal, assuring clarity and ushering decision-making among multiple stakeholders.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
• Results-oriented team player, collaborative and self-motivated. Ability to deliver consistently excellent work product operating independently without heavy oversight.
• Demonstrated experience using diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships and motivate internal and external constituents, including gaining cooperation from individuals or groups over whom there is no direct authority.
• Discretion in handling confidential information relating to the giving history and backgrounds of donors/prospects.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status, and all other characteristics protected by law.
We comply with all applicable laws including E.O. 11246 and the Vietnam Era Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 governing employment practices and do not discriminate on the basis of any unlawful criteria in accordance with 41 C.F.R. §§ 60-300.5(a)(12) and 60-741.5(a)(7). As a federal government contractor, we take affirmative action on behalf of protected veterans.
The CDC Foundation is a smoke-free environment. Relocation expenses are not included.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY VIA
COVER LETTER IS REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION