Membership Outreach Assistant, Public Support
- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. Achieving greater diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do is inextricably linked to our mission to protect our planet and defend the rights of all people to a healthy environment. We are guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
As a member of the Outreach and Membership Services department, the Membership Outreach Assistant will be part of a dynamic and highly productive team of fundraising professionals. This position will provide programmatic assistance for Earthjustice’s robust direct mail program which raises funds from Earthjustice’s Public Support and Justice Partners donors via targeted acquisition, renewal, reinstatement, additional gift appeal, and sustainer invite/upgrade mailings in support of overall Annual Giving revenue goals.
The Membership Outreach Assistant must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines, and be highly detail oriented. This position requires a self‐starter who is able to work both collaboratively and independently and possesses strong interpersonal skills. Building constructive and effective relationships with the development team, administrative, and program staff will be integral to success in this role.
The successful candidate will have a strong commitment to and passion for Earthjustice’s mission, vision, and values. This position reports to the Senior Direct Response Strategist and is based in San Francisco, CA or remote.
Project and Systems Management (70%)
- Provide day-to-day programmatic support for direct mail program including consolidating and editing staff comments on copy and design for review by the manager, trafficking all materials through production cycle, resourcing photographs and resource materials from Communications team when necessary, and securing approvals as directed by the manager in order to meet strict deadlines.
- Oversee timelines and assist in the adherence to the annual mail production calendar.
- Work closely with the Data and Operations team to ensure data for the direct response program is accurate and up to date.
- As assigned by the manager, obtain regular benchmark reports from external vendors on all fundraising programs for senior staff to ensure programs are on course to meet fundraising goals.
- Continually enhance skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices.
- Monitor and remain apprised of trends in direct marketing and fundraising.
- Recommend and implement solutions to improve processes and systems.
- Maintain direct mail samples and project files.
- Coordinate vendor meetings and periodic benchmarking calls.
- Share relevant information with internal colleagues about the direct mail program.
- Assist with processing of invoices.
- Collaborate with inventory manager to ensure proper inventory is maintained for member premium items.
Donor Stewardship (10%)
- Answer general donor gift calls and inquiries as part of the Outreach and Membership Services team.
- Maintain functional knowledge of Earthjustice’s current and past program work to support direct response copy production and constituent engagement.
Furthering Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) (10%)
- Participate in internal committees and working groups to further institutional priorities and build an inclusive and equitable work environment that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Proactively pursue and utilize internal and external resources to support a personal and professional development journey that increases awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Ensure the incorporation of inclusive practices in all facets of direct mail fundraising efforts.
- Practice DEI principles throughout all duties and responsibilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of two years’ relevant experience, or Associate’s degree plus a minimum of five years of relevant experience required. Experience supporting direct response fundraising and membership, including experience with helping coordinate projects, preferably in a national-level non-profit setting.
- Working knowledge of a constituent relationship management (CRM) system or donor database such as Raiser’s Edge or Blackbaud eCRM.
- Professional, positive, and approachable attitude.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Experience using effective interpersonal skills, listening, diplomacy, and tact to build strong relationships with stakeholders, constituents, and all levels of staff.
- Experience helping coordinate direct mail production from initial copy review, data coordination through print approval and mail shop approval is preferred.
- Excellent writing, spelling, grammar, proofreading, and formatting skills as well as strong verbal communication and customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills. Excellent attention to detail.
- Basic organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Energetic, highly organized, and able to handle shifting priorities, multiple projects, and a high volume of ongoing requests in a calm and positive manner.
- Commitment to donor centered fundraising and the stewardship of existing donors.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required.
- Regular and reliable attendance is required.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $56,200 - $62,400
Salary range varies for remote locations.
Interested candidates should submit the following via Jobvite:
- Cover letter.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles:We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.