Executive Manager to the CEO
- Experience Level
About the CEO: Outdoor Afro was founded in 2009 by Chief Executive Officer, Rue Mapp, an inspired speaker whose collective efforts have been celebrated by Oprah, the Obama White House, and twice as The Root 100, most influential African Americans in the country. Rue’s work has also been recognized with an Outdoor Industry Inspiration Award, National Wildlife Federation’s Conservation Achievement Award for Communications (received alongside former President Bill Clinton). She appears frequently in major media outlets, including NPR and the Wall Street Journal.
About the Role: The Executive Manager for Rue Mapp, CEO, will play the leading role in the CEO’s critical business affairs to support the growth of the Outdoor Afro brand. Ms. Mapp approaches her life and work with joy, a passion for creating connections, and a deep love of nature. The ideal candidate will be aligned with these values and able to immerse themselves in the myriad of roles Ms. Mapp plays from CEO, to author, to speaker, to state parks commissioner. Key qualifications for this role preferably include previous exposure to managing talent and/or high-profile individuals, an aptitude for production and media, and an inherent interest in serving in a support capacity to a high-profile individual.
In addition, the incumbents must be extremely motivated and flexible; have little need for formal supervision; be proactive with the ability to prioritize and meet tight deadlines; efficiently coordinate multiple projects; maintain confidentiality; exhibit creativity and attention to detail; demonstrate exceptional communication and organizational skills; work well with all levels of management both internally and externally; and eager to learn and grow.
- Provide best-in-class administrative support to the CEO across all endeavors, including calendar management, scheduling meetings and conference calls, making travel arrangements, managing events and appearances logistics and expense reporting. Ensure the CEO is provided adequate time and space within and between meetings for self-care and non-scheduled work time.
- Manage the CEO’s email and social media direct message inboxes to ensure timely responses to important communications; organize the inboxes for easy reference and keep it as “clean” as possible (e.g. ridding of spam); forward and/or answer any inquiries about scheduling or other priorities.
- Interface with the Communications team to manage the CEO’s digital branding, media, and public appearances with attention to itinerary, wardrobe, hair, and make-up.
- Act as a concierge to the CEO, high-profile partners, the Board of Directors, and business contacts. Proactively develop briefing documents in advance of CEO partner and stakeholder interactions. Attend meetings as requested, take notes, and ensure action items and next steps are effectively managed and delegated.
- Expertly manage correspondence and acknowledgments including written notes, invitation management, follow-up on status of tasks, and continuous updates and communication via phone, email and in person.
- Manage special projects as designated by CEO; examples include donor communications, password management, creation and updates of contact lists and other proprietary company information.
- Ensure the CEO’s technology is up-to-date, streamlined and in working order.
- Work with the operations team to ensure office supplies and other administrative or facility needs of the CEO and organization are taken care of in a timely manner.
- Make travel arrangements, hotel reservations, and coordinate ground transportation. Track travel delays and/or issues, troubleshoot, and proactively problem solve.
- Perform miscellaneous errands as needed.
- Holds joy, gratitude, connection, and nature as personal values.
- Thrives in playing a support role.
- Proactive, solution-oriented, and dedicated to problem-solving. Ability to anticipate the needs of the CEO to increase productivity and ease of work.
- Resourceful and adaptable; possesses sound judgment, ability to resolve unexpected issues and juggle multiple tasks, and switch gears quickly.
- Holds high standards for professional quality and branding as this is essential to carry out the needs of the CEO.
- Makes job knowledge and personal development a high priority; seeks educational opportunities, enjoys reading professional articles and publications, and loves participating in professional organizations.
- Holds high moral character; has a polite, courteous, and tactful demeanor, especially when interacting with the public.
- Respectful, intuitive, and keen perception while working with a diverse range of stakeholders, partners, and their associates.
- Willingness to volunteer and take on new and challenging tasks in order to keep the CEO and office running smoothly.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to act effectively as a member of the team and the ability to interact successfully with high-profile partners and the media.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to listen, foster teamwork, remain self-motivated while motivating others.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence, customer service, and personal development
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with at least 3 years experience as Executive Assistant or manager serving a C-level executive and/or high profile individual
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Team player with warm communication style
- Positive and professional demeanor and ‘can-do’ solution oriented mindset
- Patience and flexibility in adapting to CEO schedule and needs
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Aptitude and interest in supporting the technology needs of the CEO
- Strong attention to detail and follow-through on assignments
- Ability to own, track, manage, and prioritize time effectively while working on multiple assignments
- Advanced skills in the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook. Experience with Customer Relationship Management software (CRM), Salesforce, or similar software a plus
- Able to travel out of state overnight, work evenings and weekends for special events
- A personal vehicle and valid California Driver’s License is required
Email a resume + references + cover letter detailing why you feel you would be a good fit to work with Outdoor Afro and manage its CEO to: email@example.com
Please follow all instructions for applying above. Note that no applicants will be reviewed or accepted via LinkedIn, or Facebook inbox.
Outdoor Afro is an equal opportunity employer. The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
More searches like this
- Administrative / Clerical Environment $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Executive / Senior Management Environment $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Marketing / Communications Environment $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Public Policy / Administration Environment $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Oakland