Minnesota GreenCorps AmeriCorps Member
- Experience Level
Position Summary: Minnesota GreenCorps is a statewide AmeriCorps program coordinated by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), with a mission to preserve and protect Minnesota's environment and strengthen communities. MN GreenCorps members serve full-time at environmental nonprofits, government agencies, or educational institutions throughout the state. Members address critical environmental issues while gaining green job skills and networking with environmental professionals.
Members serve on projects in one of the four environmental focus areas:
- Air pollutant reduction (energy conservation, green transportation)
- Community readiness and outreach (public engagement, education, volunteer mobilization)
- Green infrastructure improvements (stormwater management, urban forestry)
- Waste reduction, recycling, and organics management (food waste prevention, recycling, composting)
Member activities may include: delivering environmental education, implementing sustainability-related projects, collecting, benchmarking and analyzing data, improving habitat, implementing recycling programs, collaborating with community members, and mobilizing volunteers.
Term Dates and Schedule:
- AmeriCorps Service Term: September 15, 2021 – August 16, 2022
- Schedule: Full-time, Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm typical. Occasional evenings/weekends may be required for some positions.
Location: 50 positions are available in cities throughout Minnesota. Housing is not provided, members must secure housing near the service location. Applicants may indicate geographic area preferences on the application.
- Northeast MN: Carlton, Duluth, Virginia
- Northwest MN: Bemidji, Cass Lake, Detroit Lakes, Fergus Falls, Moorhead, Morris, Pelican Rapids
- North Central MN: Aitkin, Brainerd, St. Joseph, Staples
- Metro Area: Andover, Bloomington, Chaska, East Bethel, Edina, Golden Valley, Hopkins, Minneapolis, Minnetonka, Oakdale, Richfield, St. Paul
- Southeast MN: Austin, Faribault, Rochester
Benefits: Members earn a living allowance disbursed bi-weekly in payments of $654.58 (pre-tax), health insurance, student loan forbearance on eligible loans, and an education award of up to $6,345 for education expenses or qualified student loans. Members receive training from the MPCA, develop green job skills, gain professional experience, network with environmental professionals, and are paired with a mentor who provides on-going guidance.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years or older.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or a lawful permanent resident alien of the U.S.
- Two year Associates degree or completion of sophomore year in a four-year college program required; preferred qualification of a four-year degree
- Demonstrated interest in the environment, including energy and water conservation, active transportation, urban planning, local foods, recycling, etc.
- Interest in environmental service and community work.
- Commitment to complete the 11 month (1,700 hours) service term.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse team.
- Ability to work independently and meet project deadlines.
- Positions that perform driving require a valid driver’s license and ability to pass a driving record check. Some positions require access to a personal vehicle for transportation.
- All positions require the successful completion of a criminal history check.
- Most positions are primarily based in an office setting and require sitting, standing, and operating a computer and telephone.
- Some positions may require light to moderate lifting, bending, stooping, pulling, kneeling, carrying, and use of hand tools.
- Some positions may require the ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions, such as wind, rain, high or low temperatures on challenging terrain for up to 8 hours at a time.
Application Instructions: Visit www.pca.state.mn.us/mngreencorps to learn more about the program, review the available positions and locations in the project summary document, and read the Application Guidelines.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, June 15, 2021